Monday, 22 February 2016

Fiction: The Princess Who Cannot Marry (Chapter 14)





     To be honest, I'm quite nervous starting the story again after the break. I fear that my writing is too rusty and I can't do my own story justice - I know it sounds a bit ridiculous - but I haven't been in the best physical and mental state. But, I also feel like the story has been living and breathing inside me and just bursting to come out for so long already that I must, no, I need to write it out and hopefully it will get better and better as we reach the end.

  As you know, I've already mapped out the whole story from the start as is my normal style. I've a very clear idea of how I want to finish the second arc, which will end around Chapter 17/18. But, I do feel like I might have to take a step back when the second arc completes to really consider the third and final arc and what will make best sense for the overall story. 

  Without further ado, let's return to the Island on which An Hun and Yu An are...... 

P.S. I think this might be the most favourite chapter I wrote so far for this story. 

Chapter 14: The Heartbreak Song 




   (i)

    They had flown across the starry night and landed in a mist of snow. Is this home? Yu An thought to herself as An Hun led her down his large silvery bird. This was the Royal Palace of the Wu Kingdom, the residence of the Royal Princess of Wu. 

  But it felt so unfamiliar, so foreign - the way the winter winds chilled her bones, the way the gusts brushed past the thistles and the snow off the pagoda ledges - the way the powdery snow mixed with the snow from the sky, and everything was just white. 

    Yu An watched as with a flick of his hand, An Hun had disarmed both the soldiers guarding the door of the Princess' bed chambers. Yu An nervously touched her face, no, a foreign male face - An Hun had even transformed her body. She was a tall distinguished man, a classic elegantly handsome face with eyes like the break of dawn - only the eyes were her own. 

  An Hun took out a small pipe from inside his robes. With a swish, the pipe lit up and a thick syrupy scent flowed out of the pipe. An Hun pierced the pipe through the silk paper inlay in the doors. Suddenly, Yu An felt An Hun's other hand over her nose. 

  "What's this?" Yu An asked. Her voice was smooth and masculine.

   "A scent that blurs a person's perception of dreams and reality," An Hun said as he retracted the pipe and eliminated the scent with another swish.

   Then An Hun's lips turned into a rather cunning smile, "It's your turn."

  Yu An felt herself being pushed towards the doors. She pushed the doors open and was met with a question from a beautifully sweet voice, "Xiao Ling?"

  Yu An did not answer and continued to step into the bedchambers. She saw that at the side of the table was a grand wooden guzheng with precious golden inscriptions. She sat at the guzheng and started playing.

  In the midst of the notes, she heard hurried footsteps. 

 There was a gasp.

  Yu An lifted her head - she knew she must look like the Yan Emperor right now, a distinguished elegant man, playing the guzheng, a lift of his head, he smiled at her. Her, the Royal Princess of Wu.

  "Hsiao? Gentleman Hsiao?" She asked, her eyes widening as if not quite believing the sight before her.

  Softly, every so softly, she added, "Is this a dream?"

  Yu An felt a slight pang of guilt in her heart but she decided that if she could, she wanted to weave a beautiful dream for this elegant Royal Princess of Wu. So, she smiled, "Qin Xia, I've come to hear you play the song you wrote for me."

  She took a step back as if not quite being able to handle the weight of what was before her. And, then she gave a slight nod, "So, the song I wrote... it has finally reached you."





  Yu An stood up and gave a bow towards the Royal Princess of Wu.

  She continued to look at Yu An for a long while before shaking her head with a faint trace of smile and mocking. "You did that before... that image of you rising from the guzheng and bowing towards me, how many times have I replayed that image in my head? How many years have it been? And now... you are before me again. Even if this is a dream, let me play for you...... let me play for you."

  Without any further words, the Royal Princess of Wu sat on the guzheng. 



  Yu An had played the Heartbreak Song to herself many times on the guzheng before - but what the Royal Princess of Wu was playing was of a completely different level. 

  From the very first note, Yu An knew that Royal Princess of Wu was playing her life. It was as if her heart had been cut from her chest and every single word, every single image, every single memory she had of this man before her was etched through her heart like guzheng strings that were needled through her, one by one by one. So painful, so tight, so deep...... she did not know where she started and the music ended - she did not know where she ended and the music started.

  So, it started with a young girl, a princess, but the Wu Kingdom had many princesses. Nothing extraordinary about her - quiet, introverted, pleasantly sweet face but she had a pair of beautiful delicate hands. And, these hands, were able to make any sound in the universe. It was just her and her younger brother, one of the many princes in the chaotic Wu Kingdom. 

  And, then, a gentleman came from across the seas. In a robe of pure white, one jade green flute, a smile on his lips but the saddest most gentlest pair of eyes - as if someone had stolen the stars that lit his eyes, and his moons were forever eclipsed. She knew instinctively that this person's eyes must not originally be like this.

  He was intelligent, kind and gentle. He mentored her younger brother and through lots of hard work and stroke of great fortune, her brother ascended to the throne to become the next Emperor of the Wu Kingdom - the most unexpected one out of the fourteen princes. 

  She knew she should be happy when her brother ascended the throne, but her heart was only in sorrow for she knew that meant he would be leaving. 

  Only once did his eyes lit up - when the moon was full, and he saw a passing pure white pigeon. It seemed to rekindle his memory. So, while he fell into his own memory, she fell into him

   The day he left, she knew she would never see him again. She only told him one thing, I hope you see her again.

  She still remembered the smile he gave that day. She still remembered all his smiles. She kept them safely inside her heart, like carefully folded butterfly wings, waiting to be remembered, waiting to fly again.

  And, so she wrote this song, this song she was playing for him now. 

  This song that said I still remember you.

  (ii)

    When An Hun heard no more sound coming from the bedchambers, he waited for Yu An to exit. But, after a long while, she still did not.

   Sensing something was not right, An Hun entered the bedchambers and was unsurprised to see the Royal Princess of Wu passed out over the guzheng.

  What surprised him was Yu An standing by her side, tears flowing unceasingly down her cheeks.

  Wordlessly, he pulled her out of the bedchambers. He whistled for his silvery bird, brought Yu An back up onto the silvery bird and they escaped back to the dark night they had came from.

   When the silvery bird took off away from the palace, it was then only then when Yu An burst into loud wailing sobs which were mixed with heavy sniffling sounds like she was having trouble breathing.

  "Yin Hua!" An Hun cried, his patience reaching his limits, "Are you going to cry so much that you are going to drown us with your tears?"

  "You... you..." Yu An pointed accusingly at An Hun, "You don't have a heart so you don't know how painful a broken heart must feel like."

  At this, An Hun pressed both his palms on Yu An's cheeks and transformed her back to her original appearance. It was disturbing enough to see Yu An crying, it was even more disturbing to see her crying in the form of the Yan Emperor.

  An Hun then ignored Yu An and sat far across the other wing of the bird. 

  Still, Yu An continued crying. An Hun did not know why but Yu An's tears needled him. Needled him in a way that he had not felt in hundreds, or maybe thousands of years.

(iii)

   
   Yu An did not know why was crying so badly. She tried her best to stop but the tears kept flowing. Yu An herself did not know heartbreak - how could she? She did not even know who she was. But, that pain she felt from the Royal Princess of Wu's song erupted within her.

   Yu An thought the tears would never stop when she heard it - heard him.

  She wasn't sure at first because the sound was pure light. She closed her eyes for a moment, the tears seeming to stop because she needed all her energy, all her concentration to listen to the full beauty of this sound. 

  She turned her head right and she saw it. The sight confirming the sound.

   He was singing.

  She had only heard a mermaid's song through a triton shell before. Already, the mermaid's song was enchanting, something she had never heard before. 

  But this - this dark god of a man and mermaid - that sang before her, she was mesmerised.

  His voice was deep and dark, yet his notes were light. 

  What was he singing? This calm assurance to her heart. It felt like lullaby. A mother singing to her child......

   Her eyes into his. Her heart racing. She knew that she was wrong. So completely, irrevocably wrong.

  He had a heart. A completely shattered heart.

  The beautiful pure voice that broke through the fragments of pain and loss. 

  And, then, the most amazing thing happened - Yu An watched as the silvery bird dipped down towards the ocean and the ocean itself started to light up - a golden shimmery path started to shine and got brighter and brighter as they neared. 

  The mermaids were leading him home! They recognise his song.

  Yu An shook her head slightly, no, he never needed me. That instrument he needed - all along it was inside of him.

  She did not know why but she felt this unknown sense of fear and anxiety grow deeper within her with each step he took towards her. Suddenly, he was no longer that difficult dark prince who had captured her, poisoned her, made use of her - he seemed to have grown far more different, far more great, far more dangerous that anything she had ever known...

  "Are you ready?" She watched him ask as his mouth curled into another malicious smile. 

  He inclined his head towards the waters, "Don't forget to breathe."

  She was about to say that she won't be able to swim deep and breathe under the waters when he pulled her towards him and she felt his mouth pressed onto hers. That malicious smile! 

  He pressed his lips with deep force and she felt her lips open in surprise and protest.



  Before she could say anything or bite his lips, he had already thrown his head back, "With that, you should be able to breathe underwater."

  And then, without waiting for her reply, he jumped into the ocean.

  All she could think of at that moment, her heart ringing in her ears, her cheeks aflame, were the words he blew into her ears, Don't forget to breathe......








The Princess Who Cannot Marry
Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

66 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading ❤️

      Delete
    2. hello..! is this the end of the story? or will there be a 3rd arc?

      Delete
    3. There's definitely more! My bad :(. I promise I will continue the story.

      Delete
  2. many many thanks for your update..... I always wait for your each new update eagerly with patience because i know your story will bring some good feelings to me. today I was upset. But after reading your story now i am smiling. Really thank you.

    Bluesky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bluesky, thanks for leaving a comment. Your thoughts mean a lot to me! I'm really glad that my story can bring you good feelings and brighten up your day. Thank you so much. Big hugs!!!

      <3

      Delete
  3. Hi Decembi, I've been ur silent reader & want to say hi plus thank you so much,, Luv the story and eagerly waiting for the continuation of it. Take care and stay healthy :) :D
    ~ jocy ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear jocy, so wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for leaving me a comment and saying "hi". <3 I'm really grateful for fans of this story! Will try my best <3

      Delete
  4. wow. haha that was intense. the poor Wu princess T.T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really intense for me whilst writing it too!!! Heartbreak is definitely not my favourite emotion to write. And yet, it felt quite cathartic to finally write her story.

      Delete
  5. Thank you.....yes...your story is so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear juli, thank you so much for reading my story and sharing your views. :) Am so happy that you like this.

      Delete
  6. Ah!!! (fan girl scream) I have been waiting patiently for your return. I hope all is well and I love your stories so so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shau Xiong, awww thank you. Your message was so cute. I read it to my husband. <3 Thank you so much for reading

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for this update! I recently discovered your blog and have been staying up late at night to binge read. I just wanted you to know I appreciate your hard work in writing fiction and translating. Take care of yourself and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear anonymous, thank you so much for reading my blog! Your encouragement really means a lot to me. I will work hard and sleep hard <3

      Delete
  8. yay, thanks for updating. this is such a nice series, but I like all your novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Applesingh, thank you so much for reading my stories!! I think this series is my most ambitious so far <3

      Delete
  9. Hi decembi, thank you so much for continuing this lovely story. Can't wait to read more 😄😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear LouLou88, thanks so much for reading my story! <3

      Delete
  10. Hi decembi, thank you so much for continuing this lovely story. Can't wait to read more 😄😄

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww this chapter was so sweet because of that ending ;)
    thank you for the chapter ^.^
    Welcome back~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ChocolateCosmos, thanks so much for reading the story. :) I'll try my best!

      Delete
  12. Dearest Decembi �� I missed U much ��

    Your ever loving fan,

    Samie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Samie,

      So wonderful to hear from you! Thanks for your ever loyal support <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  13. Hey decembi! Thanks for continuing to update your novel whenever you're ready! I'm totally leaning now to ship YA and AH ! As OTP I hope~~ (dreamingly fingers crossed♡) hope you have a lovely end of February! I'm looking forward to the unveiling of AH's background and YA getting closer to him ♥ Anyway the other two bachelors are losing time and needs to find YA to have the big finale C: Ahh~~ what a cliffhanger :> ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      Thanks for your lovely comment! I'm working on Chapter 15 and hope to get it up by this week. :) :) :)

      Delete
  14. Omgggggg so happy to read this chap, the gusheng went so well with the chap. I love the guzheng link u put in this chapter. I literally dropped down a tear while listening and reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annie, thanks for reading my fiction and playing the guzheng link! I'm really happy that the music went well with what you read. I love the music too! <3

      Delete
  15. I wanted to just express how much you have inspired me, I have a stories that flow through my mind but I have never dared to buckle down and write them down. Seeing how your using this avenue to share your heartfelt stories have given me the impetus to dare to do the same. (( when I say same, not to copy your stories BUT to buckle down and write them instead of keeping them in my head)) Hugs and look forward to what happens next in this lovely,most awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lara,

      AWWW. Wow. Your comment is so sweet and I really can't wait for you to write down all your inner stories too. The process is definitely difficult and there will be many points where you will go - this is too hard. The ideas in your head - how do you write it down? And you will constantly fall into self doubt about your own skills.

      But, if you don't take the time to write these words don't, no one will. So, that's what keeps me going in this process.

      I wish you the best :) thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  16. thank you for the chapter! Someone had her first kiss stolen! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee An Hun will say that was a spell not a kiss.

      Delete
  17. so I stumble into this story by accident and I must say I really like it, waiting for the next chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ISAD, thanks for taking the chance on my story :)

      Delete
  18. hi, I'm a big fan of your blog. I have finished reading all the books of your blog & now i'm repeatIng few of them again.I MUST SAY YOUR FICTIONS ARE AMAZING.YOU ARE VERY GOOD WRITER.I LOVE YOUR WRITING ,YOUR IMAGINATION .PLZ KEEP WRITING.I'LL BE YOUR DEVOTED FAN.LOVE YOU ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ivy, thank you so much for reading my stories and leaving a comment. All comments to my stories mean a lot to me and encourage me to continue writing. <3

      Delete
  19. Thanks for update. Yeah, your blog is great. Translated beautifully. Love tis story...Really can't decide who will be the ideal partner for her. Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear anonymous, thanks for leaving a comment!! :) It's difficult for me when writing too!

      Delete
  20. Wow, I just found your blog yesterday & I really like the story of Moon Universe (Little Moon, The Sun's Dark Love, The Princess Who Cant Marry. And I become your devoted fan. I like how you translate the novel. You are an awesome writer.

    I want Yu An end up with An Hun but that means she will become Empress of Dark Lord. I dunno but I want her to be Empress of Yan Kingdom. But its impossible for An Hun. Argghhh but Hu Xi so cute. He always there & so protective (drank all the wines so Yu An didnt drink it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SuperStarrainbow! Thanks for liking my Moon Universe ;) like how you titled that. I didn't translate it though, these are my original stories haha.

      I love your comments on the characters! Thanks so much for your passion in them. <3

      Delete
  21. Hi, just wanted to drop you a few lines. I'm a new fan of your fiction and translations. I've stayed up late at night just to finish reading all your work , i was really caught up in the story of little moon and then the sun's dark love. I am now invested in reading about Yu An's love story. Please dont abandon it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear eye_candy_obsessed, thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I'm sorry I'm replying this so late, I had to go on a sudden hiatus. I've been really busy in my personal life, but I am still committed to this blog and will work to finish the story :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, please continue writing your stories. I truly enjoy them. Please complete Yu-an stories.you are such a talented writer :)hope to see updates from u soom

      Delete
    3. AWWWW Thank you so much. Definitely will work hard <3

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love all your books! It's so unusual for me, after Little Moon and Dark Sun, to not know who the heroine will be with. But, it adds suspense! Personally, I started rooting for An Hun back in Dark Sun, when they first met. He's simply irresistible. To heal his shattered heart, so romantic. Second best for me is Drifter, cool and mysterious type with a backstory that you'll show us in upcoming chapters. If it's your story, I bet it'll be interesting. Poor Hu Zi comes last, because I've come to dislike the childhood friend/servant/"I'm unworthy of her" tropes combination after reading Reimei no Arcana manga. (Yes, Loki) I hope you'll continue your story and wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nastia, thank you so much for your comment. I re-read it a lot haha - I love reading about what people think of the characters I have created. I'm so happy that you are enjoying my stories <3

      Delete
  24. I love your story, and I can't wait to learn more about your characters! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and leaving a comment. This means a lot to me <3

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you're doing well!

    In the past I've read your translations, which I adored. I had no clue that you wrote original fiction as well. I started reading your novels yesterday and fell in love with all of the characters. I just wanted to let you know that they're such lovely stories. I hope to see Yu-an's story complete one day.

    Thank you for taking the time to translate and write your beautiful stories. I wish you all the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda, sorry for my late reply. This comment means SO MUCH to me. Thanks for reading and loving all of my characters <3

      Delete
  27. I just started reading this over the past weekend - under the mistaken impression that it was complete - and I was so happy to see this updated. Your work is lovely and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww!! Thanks so much for reading my story, it always means so much to me to hear from my readers <3

      Delete
  28. Hi decembi, I absolutely love your stories. Looking forward to read the continuation and more of your works ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW. Thanks so much for reading and loving my stories.

      Delete
  29. I just want to beg you
    PLS PLS PLS PLS dont abandon the story....i really want to see how it ends. Though my secret wish is to have 2 other alternate universes so that all three guys can get a happy ending....its wishful thinking "i know i know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su, AWW this comment is so sweet. Yes, I'm definitely not abandoning. My life now is very tough to update, but I will never leave my blog. <3

      Delete
  30. Can you update the story. I fall in love with this story charm and melody. I really like all chapter of this story. Thank you for sharing. Love is a mystery. One must accept all of all of another person to stay together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minheth, thanks for your comment! <3 I'm so touched that you like my story. I promise I will update it as soon as I can. April has just been really mad for me.

      Delete
  31. I have to say it: I can't wait for the continuation! I actually have a favorite ML but I just can't give all my heart away because it would be so devastating if he's not *haha*

    I loved both of your prequels and this one will be no less one of a kind! The length was just right and the characters were all lovely. I really curious (ノ≧∇≦)ノ

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Decembi, thanks for taking time out to write such happy ending novels. I really love them. Please complete the story as I desperately want to read the ending.

    I really enjoyed your prequels and but I found this story to be the most mysterious. Please please please update soon. Have a very healthy, relaxing and happy 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ahhhhh. Decembi!! Huge cliffhanger!!

    Hope you are well in all aspects!

    As an author, you have a huge impact on the lives of many who connect with the worlds you create through your works.

    I will pray you are well in mind, body, and soul.

    I love to marathon through things whether they are dramas, mangas, manhwas, novels, etc... because i hate cliffhangers. So I look forward to the rest of your posts and that you will be able to upload the rest of your story soon!!!

    Sending love from a young romantic in NYC!! ♡♡♡♡♡

    Rosewine

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haiiiii....
    I've been reading your novel from matcmaking ang the sun dark love...
    Its amazing
    I just cant stop reading...
    I tought that i wont read this till its done yet...
    But i really just currious and that make me read untill this chap
    And so far its lovely as your story before...
    Love it...
    Please continue the story...
    Im absolutely your fans ^_^
    I hope you healty and have a wonderfull lifes because you make you reader so happy to read your story..
    Thank you for making our lifes colorfull with your story ^_^
    Thank you once again and have a wonderfull life ^_^

    ReplyDelete