Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Our Second Master (我们家二爷) by Twentine (HE) (Chapters 5 & 6) (Part 3 of 4)




  Something cropped up over the weekend so I couldn't post this earlier. Also, chapter 5 is incredibly long! But very satisfying.

*edit: I double-checked with the original text and realised I joined Chapter 5 & 6 haha into one long Chapter 5. Have separated them correctly.

Chapter 5: Our Second Master Succeeds!

  Because of that incident, Second Master was angry for a whole half a month. Later, he became too busy and so he forgot to be angry. Basically, I'm not able to see Second Master now - every morning, he leaves early and comes back late. Sometimes, he only comes back to sleep after two or three days. Second Master's originally fair face darkened quite a bit. But, there was one change that I thought was good - Second Master became strong. 

  Actually, Second Master's body wasn't considered weak previously. But, because of his injury, his whole body seemed to have weakened quite a bit. After these few months, Second Master's back became broader and his chest became thicker. Even his two arms became tougher by quite a bit. Once, Second Master returned late and called me to eat together. I said I would quickly set up the table but Second Master said there was no need, we could directly eat in the kitchen. 

  Second Master sitting on the small stool, holding a bowl of rice and eating with big mouthfuls - I looked at him dazed. Second Master placed the bowl down and said casually, "Why are you looking at me?"

  I quickly lowered my head. Second Master said, "Lift up your head." His voice was low, but it wasn't an angry tone.

  Second Master asked, "Why do you keep looking at me?"

  I felt my brain being pulled as I opened my mouth, "Your humble servant was looking... looking at Second Master's change."

  "Ah?" Second Master had eaten his fill and his whole demeanour seemed lazy. He looked at me and asked, "What change?"

  I said, "Changed from before."

  Second Master was dazed, casually placing his hand lightly on his leg, he said in a low voice, "Indeed, it has changed."

  I knew he misunderstood and forcefully shook my hand, "It's not... it's not because of that."

  Second Master looked at me and didn't speak. I was only concentrating on explaining, "The change your faithful servant speaks of... are... are changes in other places."

  Second Master said, "What place."

  I thought for half a day and blurted out, "Second Master has turned black."

   After speaking, I wanted to give myself a slap. Second Master was dazed for a moment and then he laughed. He touched his own face and nodded, "Yes, it is black." He touched his face until he felt a piece of dead skin. He peeled it off and said, "Rougher too."

  I looked at Second Master's firm chin and clear distinguished brows and eyes. He was wearing robes made of rough cloth, a waist-belt, just leaning his body a little and that thick and broad body will cause the robes to tighten on him. In that moment, I realised those loose silk robes of yesteryear, the man who embraced beautiful maidens and played by the West Lake only seemed to exist in a dream now. 




  While I was in my thoughts, Second Master looked at me and asked, "Which master do you feel is better?"

  Second Master's voice changed, was deeper than before, and more mature. Sometimes I had the strange feeling that I was serving Old Master Yang instead. Hearing Second Master's question, I didn't even think when I answered, "The present one."

  Second Master seemed to be nervous, but after I spoke, his shoulders loosened. He reached out his hand to stroke my head, "Go and rest."

  Blearily, I returned to the house to sleep. After a while, Second Master couldn't run out every day. Because, the plum rain season had arrived. At first, I didn't really notice it and thought Second Master lately liked to rest at home. However, once when I went to pee at night, in the midst of the pitter patter of the rain drops, I heard sounds from Second Master's room.

  Thus, I quietly went to the window to listen. It was Second Master's voice. The voice was in deep pain, in such pain that I did not know what to do. I placed the umbrella aside and opened the window a small creak to look in. In the dark room, Second Master had shrunk into a ball, both of his hands holding his legs, his mouth biting the comforter, again and again he gave a low cry. The rain kept falling outside, the cold wind rushed into the room and Second Master suddenly lifted up his head. In the moon light, his face was scrunched in pain, as if his whole face had been drenched by rain. When he saw me, he did not return the gaze, his eyes were slack. My mind was a sheet of white. I turned around and rushed out. I did not carry an umbrella, I did not wear my outer robe. I ran to the medicinal shop and knocked on the doors. The shop assistant came out as if he wanted to beat someone but seeing how I looked, he took a step back. 

  I knew I looked no different than a female ghost. The master was woken up from his dreams and wasn't in good temper. I knelt and kowtowed before him. I was rambling madly, only knowing to repeatedly beg him, beg him to save our Second Master. After half the burning of a scented incense, he finally gave a prescription and gathered a packet of herbs for me. I was afraid the herbs would get wet and kept it inside my robes. I ran madly home. After boiling the herbs, I carefully fed them to Second Master. Afterwards, the Second Master that had became strong in my eyes, just like a weak child, he fell into my arms and slept. 

  On the second day, Second Master was well. He looked at me, and for a very long time he did not speak. After the struggle last night, my clothes were still wet, my hair sticking to my forehead in clumps, my knees and forehead were covered in mud and blood.

  Perhaps it was because of the illness, Second Master's eyes were a little red. He waved his hand at me and said in a low voice, "Come here." My whole body was so dirty that I did not dare to go over. I said, Second Master, let your humble servant change robes first. Second Master looked at me, his lips trembled a little and finally he nodded his head. 

  I felt like I couldn't understand Second Master more and more. Afterwards, Second Master's illness recovered and he became lively again. At this time, First Master also returned. First Master returned home in a worse state than when Second Master first returned home injured. First Master was carried by Yuan Sheng home in abject dejection. I was shocked. Yuan Sheng pulled me aside and told me in a low voice, "First Master was cheated by someone of all his monies!" After he finished, he looked left and right and asked surprised, "Ah? How come the household has so many additional things?"

  I unconsciously straightened my back and said, "Second Master bought it!"

  Yuan Sheng was truly shocked. I told him what had happened in the last few months and Yuan Sheng's eyeballs almost dropped out. As I wanted to continue, Second Master returned from outside. Seeing Yuan Sheng and I standing in the corner speaking, his face immediately turned green. I quickly patted Yuan Sheng's hand to indicate that the master has returned and we cannot talk.  After seeing this, Second Master's face turned even more green. Thus, the consequence of speaking behind the master's back is that Yuan Sheng had no dinner to eat that night. But why did I have? I did not know. After realising that First Master had been cheated, Second Master's expression was not pleasant. He called First Master into the house and spoke for an entire afternoon. When he came out, First Master said that the way Second Master talked was like Old Master Yang.

  I looked from afar. Although Second Master was shorter than other people by half, but I always felt that the person that one needs to lift up their head to look at was Second Master. Afterwards, First Master remained behind to take care of the household and it became Second Master who travelled outside. Thus, whenever he went, it was two months. Slowly, the household started to change. At the end of the year, we changed to a new house. Although it wasn't as big as the previous Yang Manor, but it was much brighter and we added quite a few servants. The only pity was that when we changed house, Second Master was not around. I did not know what Second Master told First Master when he left, but First Master did not allow me to do chores. He even gave me new sets of clothes to wear. Yuan Sheng told me, "You have made it." I did not understand what he meant. 

  Much later, Second Master returned once. But, he returned late in the night and left before the sun rose. When I awoke, Yuan Sheng told me that Second Master remained in my room the whole night. I did not know why Second Master did not wake me up. Another half a year passed, and Second Master returned. This time, the entire city of Hangzhou was discussing about Second Master. They gave him a nickname -- Half Fortune God. I wanted to say Fortune God is fine, why must it be half. But Second Master didn't seem to care at all. 

  When he returned it was deep in autumn and I was cleaning the yard. Although the housekeeper did not let me do chores, I always remembered my duties as a maid. Every day, I needed to do some chores before I was able to sleep. I was sweeping the leaves on the floor when I turned around and saw someone sitting on the stone stool.

  I didn't even know when Second Master had sat there. He even had a pot of tea by his hand. He was in a body of white silk with a black outer robe. His hair was tied up high, there was a jade green ring on his thumb. Although it was simple, his entire bearing had an inexpressible elegance. I said, "Second Master, you have returned." He gave a light sound of assent and continued to look at me. I looked right and left then said, "Your humble servant will find the housekeeper." He did not allow me to and said, "Come here." 

  I walked over, Second Master looked at the broom in my hand and asked, "What is this?"

   Turns out Second Master still liked to ask this question. I said, "A broom." 

  Second Master said lightly, "Throw it away."

  I would not throw away things in front of the master so I placed it aside. Then, I respectfully stood by Second Master. Second Master observed me from the head to toe and said, "Tonight, change your clothes and follow me out."

  I said yes. When it was night and I stood by Second Master, his expression was stiff when he said, "I didn't ask you to change from one set of tattered clothes to another." I gave an "ah" sound and hesitated if I should return to change, but Second Master waved his hand and said, "Nevermind, let's go."

  The West Lake was truly crowded. I saw rows of beautiful boats in the lake and was dazed as Second Master led me to the biggest one. Before we got on the boat, many people came outside and smiled until they had no eyes. "Ahhh... Second Master, we manage to receive your arrival here." A few people welcomed Second Master onboard and I followed behind.

  It was the first time I came on board these beautiful painted pleasure boats. Inside was broad and well-lit and had many glittering decorations. There were two tables and quite a few exotic seductive dancing performers playing the instrument and singing. I turned and saw the maids standing respectfully in a row by the side. Their clothes were not shabby at all. I finally understood why Second Master wanted me to change my clothes. I lost face for him again. Although I lost face for him, I must still do my duty as a maid. I went to stand by the row of maids and humbly lowered my head. When I went over, a few of the maids looked strangely at me. Ah truly, I was not suitable to be here. I looked with some guilt over at Second Master. Coincidentally, he turned to me and his gaze was very strange, as if saying, why did you run over there. 

  He lifted his hand, "Come here." I couldn't help it and stood by his side. But Second Master was not finished, he patted the seat next to him. I did not understand. Second Master couldn't even be bothered to let out a sigh. A gentleman who was observing by the side quickly smiled at me, "Lady Hou (the sound of the first chinese word for Monkey), quickly sit down."

   Lady Hou? Woodenly, I sat down.



Chapter 6: Our Second Master Falls Ill

  That night passed rather ridiculously. Many people gave me a respectful smile, and even a few maids came to add food for me. I wanted to tell them I was also a maid like them, please don't add food for me. But, I did not dare to speak. At this setting, I didn't even dare to eat, much less speak. Second Master sat by my side from start to end as people entertained him. Although Second Master was smiling, but it was not frivolous at all, in fact, he felt very matured. Everyone was speaking very humbly to him, but he did not have any arrogance at all. As to what they were saying, I could not understand at all. Later, after three rounds of wine, someone suddenly arrived from the other table. He stood in front of Second Master and immediately knelt down. I looked at him and realised, aiyah, this was the head who surrounded Second Master and even beat me up.

  He knelt down on the ground but his waist did not bend. He looked like he had drank quite a bit and his face was flushed red. He looked at Second Master and breathing heavily he said, "Second Yang Master, I do not know why you invited me here today. But, there is something I need to say!" You can speak, why must you shout. 

  Second Master looked quietly at him and said, "Speak."

  The person was so agitated that his nostrils seemed to widen. He spoke loudly, "When Second Master met misfortune, not only did my Wang family not send coal during the snow, I, Wang Zhi, even threw stones down the well. Now that Second Master has flourished, covering half the trade lines of Jiangnan, it is well within reason not to look after my Wang family! But ---!!" Wang Zhi truly had drank too much. Everyone on the boat was looking at him as he stared daggers at Second Master, "But! I have no regrets!" 

  His voice had a trace of tears, "I do not regret! That year, you made trouble at the Osmanthus Pavilion and cut my wife's long hair. For half a year, my wife did not dare to go out of the house and did not even smile. You, do you even remember this?!" I was silent as I stole a look at Second Master. Second Master was expressionless.

  Wang Zhi finally yelled, "So I have no regrets! Yang Yi Qi, my Wang family even without your help can still survive!" 

  Second Master finally opened his mouth, "Then, why are you kneeling down towards me."

  Everyone was silent, even Wang Zhi. If you really did not need help, why would you kneel? Wang Zhi bent down and cried. Everyone was watching. Second Master pushed away the stool and stood on the ground. He did not hold his crutch. His hand leaned on the table and the other on Wang Zhi's shoulder. "Rise." Wang Zhi did not move. Second Master increased pressure, "Gentleman Wang, rise."

  Wang Zhi lifted his head to look at Second Master and finally stood up. After he stood up, Second Master became the shortest in the entire boat. A person came up to carry him to the seat but he shook his head. He poured a cup of wine for himself and turned around. He spoke to everyone in a low voice, "Everyone, those that I invited today - some knew me before and some did not. Some with debts of gratitude, some with debts of grudge. This cup of wine, I give to all those debts of gratitude." After he finished, he threw away the cup. He moved forward by a step and lifted up his head and said, "This head, I kowtow to those with debts of grudge." After he finished, before anyone could react, Second Master bowed forward and his forehead knocked into the wooden flooring of the boat with a "thud" sound. He only had half a leg, this kowtow was not easy. 

Everyone was stunned, including me. Who dared to accept Second Master's head? Not even speaking of myself as a maid, everyone here had something to ask from Second Master, even more they did not dare to receive this and quickly got up. But no one was able to predict this scenario, so no one dared to open their mouths. Second Master rose up, his expression did not change as he poured another cup of wine. He announced, "I, Yang Yi Qi, only rely on three things when I do business --- courage, brains and trust."

  Second Master's voice was deep and his gaze was bright, "The mistakes I had committed in the past, Heavens have punished me. If everyone is willing to give me this chance, to trust in me again, from now on, we will share in the prosperity and earn money together. Yang Yi Qi will not treat all of you badly." Second Master is truly Second Master. He knows how to speak, just a few lines and quite a few people here were crying. 

  "As for you," Second Master looked at Wang Zhi, he pointed his thumb with the jade green ring at me and said in a low voice, "Do you remember her?"

  Wang Zhi looked at me and nodded. Second Master lightly said, "Kowtow to her three times and pray she will always be alright. Then, we will forget about that day."

  Wang Zhi walked in front of me and dropped down on his knees. He kowtowed three times. I anxiously looked at Second Master but he did not have any expression.

  I tried to say, "It's fi...fine"

  Wang Zhi rose and Second Master nodded at him. 

  On the way home, Second Master called me into the carriage and said, "You have suffered." I was shocked. I said it was the first time I was kowtowed to by a gentleman, I did not suffer. Second Master laughed and said, "Sit closer." I leaned closer and did not dare to look at Second Master. My head remained lowered.

  Second Master said, "Your head is always lowered, what are you looking at?"

  I quickly made up something, "Looking at the ring."

  Second Master took down his thumb ring and placed it in my palm, "Do you like this? You can have it."

  How can I dare accept this? I shook my head, "I was only.. only looking at it." Second Master took my hand and placed the thumb ring in my palm. Dark green, still carrying the heat from Second Master's body.

  I carried it in my palm and did not dare to speak. This time Second Master returned and stayed. Second Master bought another big house, about the same as the previous Yang Manor. Old Mistress Yang and the misses were brought back. The manor became crowded again. The previously unfavoured Second Master has now become the Manor's owner. Besides Old Mistress Yang, everyone called him respectfully Master. Since there were more people, the housekeeper hired more maids. I saw at one glance that they were to be sent to Second Master's courtyard. I sat at the courtyard that day for very long and stared dazedly at the moon.

  I've calculated in my heart how much money I had presently. After counting for half a day, I calculated a pleasant outcome. It turns out that after all these years, I could be considered a rich person. No, a rich monkey. 

  In the next few days, I changed my money into paper currency. I pawned the accessories Second Master previously gave me and converted them to loose silver. Only that jade green ring, it was so beautiful, I couldn't bear to pawn it and kept it in my bag. My contract was still with Old Mistress Yang so I went to find her and told her my reason. I gave her the money so that she could set me free. Old Mistress Yang looked at me and said in a light voice, "There is no more contract. After the incident, everything was destroyed." 

  I was dazed, then said, "The humble servant will leave now. Old Mistress Yang, please take care of yourself." Old Mistress Yang did not say anything. She sat in the pavilion, lowered her head and wiped her eyes. How could I leave? I went over to comfort her, "Mistress, please don't cry."

  Mistress weeped, "My pitiful Qi Er..." Second Master? I said, "What about Second Master?"

  Mistress shook her head and spoke aimlessly to herself, "My pitiful Qi Er, my pitiful Qi Er..." I did not know what she was crying about and said, "Mistress, don't cry. Our Second Master is presently incredible." Mistress ignored me and continued crying. Seeing that I could not comfort her, I gave a sigh and turned to leave. 

  When I turned, I saw Second Master leaning on his crutch, standing not far away. He kept staring at my bag. Old Housekeeper nervously stood by his side. I walked over and gave my respects. I said, "Second Master, I am leaving."

  Second Master smiled at me and said, "Ok."

  I was dazed, and was a bit unhappy. After all, I had suffered with you for so many years, although I was only a little maid, but you don't have to speak that way right? Of course, I did not dare to show my displeasure. I told Second Master, "Second Master, take care." 

  After I spoke finished, I turned from his side to walk away. After walking very far away, I secretly turned around and saw that Second Master was still standing there. The housekeeper was already kneeling by his side. I did not know what he was saying. I felt that Second Master's back was a little crooked. Then, I immediately turned back my head. How could that be possible? I hired a cow cart and prepared to return to my hometown. 

  But, I hardly left for three days when I was stopped by the housekeeper. When he saw me, it was as if he saw his own mother and he knelt down. Everyone in the inn turned to look around.

  He said, "Miss, please come back! I beg of you to come back!"

  I asked, "What are you doing?"

  The housekeeper rambled on for half a day and I finally understood - Second Master had fallen sick. I came out by cow cart and returned by horse carriage. On the route home, I asked the housekeeper, "Only three days, how did he fall ill?"

  The housekeeper had a face of woe, "Ah, I was a busybody, a busybody." He did not answer my question properly. I added, "What illness?"

  The housekeeper gave a long sigh and spoke with deep meaning towards me, "Miss, Second Master's heart is bitter."

  I stopped asking. When we returned to the manor, everyone stared at me. I shrunk my neck and entered Second Master's courtyard. The housekeeper sent me here and then disappeared.

  The courtyard was very big but there was not a single person here. I scolded the houseekeeper in my heart, you hired so many maids but not a single one is serving here. I knocked on Second Master's door and asked,  "Second Master, are you there?"

  There was no sound. I was worried that something had happened so I immediately pushed the door. Inside, Second Master was wearing his sleeping robes and lying on the bed with his eyes closed. The first sight I had of him and my heart soured. It was no pretence, he was really ill. I walked over and said in a light voice, "Second Master, how are you feeling. Your humble servant will get a physician for you."

  Second Master slowly opened his eyes and looked at me. He spoke in a hoarse voice, "You still care about my life or death." 

  I opened my mouth but did not speak. I did not know what to say. Second Master reached out his hand and I unconsciously held it.

  Second Master's hand was very broad, there were calluses all over it. I did not know how Old Master Yang's hand was like, was it like Second Master? Bearing the wind and snow? His other hand covered my eyes and he spoke hoarsely, "Little Monkey, can you not go? After you left, Master cannot hold on......"

  In his whole life, the words Second Master said that were the most unbearable, were these. Compared to the kicks he gave me before - this was much much more painful. 



Comment: Too in love with these two! 



Our Second Master (我们家二爷) by Twentine (5 stars) (HE)
Translations: 1&2 3&4 5&6 7
*COMPLETED*

88 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. It was worth the long wait. I cry reading this chapter. Im glad he love her
    So much, i hope she understand that. I hope its happy ending. Best chapter ever. Thank you so much, it means alot to me for sharing this novel with me. You are the best. ♡ lovelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lovelyn, it truly is rewarding to read such heartfelt comments from the readers. Yes, Second Master loves Little Monkey very much indeed.

      And oops, I realised I joined Chapter 5&6 into one long Chapter 5 (haha no wonder I was thinking the chapter was so long). I've split it correctly, so we are very close to the end. <3

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much!! Xie xie, very satisfying indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you. i am so touched. so beautiful. looking forward to the ending. cannot imagine. he cannot say it. ojojoj, bye bye. karol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee thanks for the support. Yes, this story really tears me up ♡

      Delete
  4. You are the most awesome person, DecembI. Continuously making g me happy lol

    Btw was 2nd master jealous of yuan sheng's interaction with little monkey? Hence no dinner for him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Yes, Second Master was sooo jealous. Poor insecure and petty Second Master

      Delete
  5. Our little monkey is slow about love, he just need to tell her how he feels. Sweet chapters. Im glad everyone knows without her, there will be no second master. Im glad there is no second woman to come between them. Thank you so much. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Kim! I love how real Second Master's hesitation feels - afterall he is not confident if he is good enough for Little Monky

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Eagerly awaiting the ending. Such a sweet, poignant short story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading ♡ the ending is wonderful heh

      Delete
  7. The chapter is so awesome! I was worried about the emotional payoff after how somber the last two sections were but I was wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! ♡ the emotional payoff in this story is one of the best i feel

      Delete
  8. Ahhh so good! Thanks for introducing and translating this. Remember how I said on Shusheng that I wasn't going to read till you finished.... well, I caved and read the rest before this update... Your recs are always the best. If possible, can you put up your ratings (your star system) of new things you read/update it sometime? I find that we have similar taste, and it would be great if I can just see what is good and go seek them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks! I have a review/recommendation page. Though I don't often update it lol. I'm really happy you like my recommendations! I will try to update more. Thinking of doing a short story special - maybe 3 or 4 of gd short stories since lots of readers have asked me for more reccs on easy to read short stories

      Delete
  9. This is such a poignant story. I can't help but tear up. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very much welcome Lily ♡ glad that it touched your heart

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the story! It is lovely =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, decembi! I have to agree with one of the previous commenters that waiting for this update was like waiting for Christmas morning to come. Haha. So eager to open and devour what's inside the post. This has been such an incredibly satisfying read, hitting all my favorite spots - romance, bittersweetness, underdog win just to name a few, but most importantly a well earned happy ending that is to come. I love that this story comes from the POV of someone who is so clueless and yet through her eyes, so much is revealed to us. She is endearing in that she is so unassuming, never connecting the fact that it was her tenacity that motivated Second Master's changes. Through her straightforward observations, we see the growth and redemption of Second Master's character but we also learn so much about her in the process even when she doesn't talk about herself. She's earnest and eager to please, but we find out she has just as much sass. I love how she said people called him Half Fortune God, but why add Half? Fortune God is good enough. Or how she was a little put out that he was so quick to say okay when she was leaving. What she didn't know was the poor guy loved her so much and probably felt he wasn't worthy to hold on to her. Thank you for sharing this story! - happymilieu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest happymilieu,

      I loved reading your analysis. I paid special attention to the tone when I translated it and stuck very closely to the original phrasing and structure - the english grammar is very different from chinese, but where possible, I left the slight awkwardness because it fitted so well with the female lead's character. In my opinion, there are layers in what she sees and says -the first time you will read it, you will find her slightly clueless and unassuming, but I think if you read it again, you will see that she actually see everything very clearly but doesn't dare to believe it could be due to her. She chooses instead to rationally not understand. I adore her sassiness! Heehee.

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much Decembi!!! Is so touchy, love this story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this short story, she change him for the better good! I do feel that he think she deserves better that's why all he could say was yes and didnt dear to stop her when she is leaving. I have to say I tear up reading it lol can't nor wait till the ending thanks once again for the translation. Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Grace, I absolutely agree that his yes made so much sense. It's the best kind of noble idiocy because his reasons behind his "yes" was so true and heartbreaking. <3

      Delete
  14. haiiii Decembi,

    it has been a long time, I haven't comment on anything.. well it doesnt mean the other work isnt good.. but.. this one is simply pick my interest... about love between the imperfect man and (maybe) imperfect woman. and they make it... THIS IS AWESOME....

    with so much love
    selly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello selly, nice to hear from you. :) I agree that this story is really good and glad it touched your heart.

      Delete
  15. incredible love story ! thks decembi for the beautiful translation. i m most touched by their bonding that blossom into love without her realising her true worthy of second master's love and respect. looking forward to the ending soon, the same goes for heavy sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Irene! Indeed, the gradual blossoming of the love is so genuine and heartfelt. And, wonderful how Second Master can see her worth now <3

      Delete
    2. totally agreed ! but why the writer so cruel to second master by having him amputated both legs. sad sad here... cant it be just something not so horrifying
      ( just my thought )

      Delete
    3. He still has half a left leg. But I think the strength in their relationship is rising above such great adversity!

      Delete
  16. Haha, finally i got to read the chapter.. i m so touched of their relationship.. ship them..
    thanks decembi for the sweet translation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome dear ♡ thanks for the support!

      Delete
  17. I was so excited to see this post this morning! Thank you for translating all these stories. I have really enjoyed your blog. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♡ thanks for the support to my stories!

      Delete
  18. Beautifully written n translated. Tq Decembi. Really fall in love with this 2nd young master character. He managed tp overcome all his adversity, of course with the strength from our dearest Little Mongkey. All his gesture n action speaks louder than words. His cute jealousy. He even can't stand still (his back was a little crooked) after Little Mongkey left him. And when reading when he fell ill , i suddenly remember a saying"a broken spirit drains one's strength". She really is his strength n source of joy n comfort. N the words he said ""Little Monkey, can you not go? After you left, Master cannot hold on......" i think it's equal to "please dont leave me, i cant live without u" hehehe
    Btw there's a part i dont really understand what happened. when he's crying in pain on one raining night. was he crying coz of the pain from his wound or he's crying out loud all his tears bcoz of the incident that he suppressed all this time?

    Anyway super duper love this couple, n once again tq for sharing with us this heartwarming story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the really sincere and wonderful review! I totally agree with you. <3 He stopped going out when the rainy season started. I think it's how like the rain and damp weather can cause joint pain for people? I suspect it's severe joint pain caused by the rain. :(

      Delete
  19. Hi Decembi! I wasn't planning to read this since Hamster said it reminds her of 买夫, but I can't resist a sneak at your translation and viola! The story is good. And such a long chapter too. Thank you for the time to translate the long chunck. Beautifully done as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww! Moonblossom, I always feel so honoured when you drop by. Thank you for the support <3

      Delete
    2. Aww, don't mention honoured as it makes me a little paiseh. I am supposed to be co-blogging here until I posted a looooooong story at Cloud Manor. In fact, I was just re-readng a chapter of Gentlemen FFC here and it brings back such fond memories!!

      The reason for the nostalgia is because I posted the last chapter of Rice Pot today and was thinking back on my first piece of completed work. Normally - I don't have much time too these days - I won't have spend so much time online but today is special as I kept my IE open to respond to readers and ends up browsing a bit. I have never expect you to put up "Our Second Master" when you are already so stretched but I am glad you did for whatever reasons. Keep it up.

      Delete
    3. Wow!!! Super congratulations for finishing Rice Pot. You are amazing! So consistently good and productive <3

      Haha I have fond memories of Gentlemen FFC too! Awww. I feel like I had so much more time then and there was always so much to discuss and say. I was also really grateful for the help with Once Promised. Haha. How dusty have Once Promised became! Hopefully, I will get back to it one day.

      I'm very stretched actually, but this story was meant to be a One year anniversary celebration project. LOL, it sat in my computer sleeping for 8 months. Thought I should post it before the 2 year comes along.

      Delete
  20. Hello Decembi :)
    I enjoy reading this chapter. All those emotions appeared once again and the ending of chapter 6 pulls the heartstrings quite a bit.
    Also this comment is sort of a reply to your response on chapter 3 and 4. Now that I look back at this story and re-read chapter 5-6 , I do agree that this little monkey chose to remain dense or rather deliberately thinks to herself (maybe in a consciously way) that all these changes were NOT because of her. Her self-deprecating characteristic probably plays a part in her way of thinking as evident with her lining up with the maids or her clueless reactions to how people address her (ex: Lady Hou).
    Thank you for the chapter as usual and can't wait for the last chapter(it's the best part of the story :D )
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ChocolateCosmos,

      I can't quite decide which is my favourite. Either Chapter 6 or Chapter 7 I think. The ending of this whole story is sublime and something I look up to in my own writing haha.

      Yes, if she is really obtuse, all these would be flying over her head. But, for her to highlight things that she can't grasp or understand, instinctively she already know what it means but chooses not to read it that way. Our sweet loving little Monkey.

      I'm glad Second Master has grown up to be a person that deserves her. <3

      Delete
  21. Would you be able to give me an estimate of when the last chapter will be uploaded? I've been stalking your page endlessly and would rather not creep you out by my constant monitoring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be out this weekend. Am out for work - will post when i return home.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry! Work things cropped up. Will catch up

      Delete
    3. No need to be sorry. I figure something must have come up. Everyone supports you and is more than willingly to wait...if they can't then they don't deserve your godly translations.

      Delete
    4. Awwwwwwww! This really touched me and really motivates me. I really promise to get it up this wk.

      Delete
  22. finally i had time to read this,,
    decembi, how can you find this beautiful story? this is so heartwarming
    YYQ should be more straightforward with his feeling so our little monkey won't leave just like that.
    by.mango

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mango, i'm glad you enjoyed it ♡ I found it on a forum

      Delete
  23. Is ot Christmas yet? Lol
    Xoxo win

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this story!! How many more chapters are there??

    ReplyDelete
  25. Apricity: I hope you won't find my end notes below too presumptuous - I'm grateful for the chance to read this story twice. :)

    *not send coal during the snow - a Chinese idiom akin to not extending a hand to a drowning person

    * even threw stones down the well - a Chinese idiom that means making things worse for someone who is already suffering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no I don't find the end notes presumptuous. Glad you enjoyed it

      Delete
  26. I finished the end but came back to reread this. Just wondering if the reason Little Monkey decided to leave was because Second Master has become rich enough for more servants that she has no more reason to stay? No reason because she never believed that she cannot be anything but a servant so she preferred to just leave instead? In the last chapter she mentioned she didn't want to be a concubine maid-- was she thinking that him bringing her to that evening event might lead to this, so she preferred to leave?

    Just wondering what you think are her motivations for leaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read her main impetus for leaving was when the housekeeper hired more maids! It's not stated explicitly but those maids were probably pretty and Little Monkey thought it was just like chapter one again with the pretty maids. But the housekeeper didn't know that Second Master has changed and when he realised Second Master only wanted Little Monkey, that was why the housekeeper said he was a busybody and begged LM to come back

      Delete
  27. I finished the end but came back to reread this. Just wondering if the reason Little Monkey decided to leave was because Second Master has become rich enough for more servants that she has no more reason to stay? No reason because she never believed that she cannot be anything but a servant so she preferred to just leave instead? In the last chapter she mentioned she didn't want to be a concubine maid-- was she thinking that him bringing her to that evening event might lead to this, so she preferred to leave?

    Just wondering what you think are her motivations for leaving!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is so heartwarming...i love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww glad you enjoyed it! Makes me very happy <3

      Delete
  29. Thank you very much for your hard work!
    I really like this kind of love stories.
    Where the main characters know what is important to them after all things that happened in past.
    I think Little Monkey is a simple person. At first she admired him as her Master which turned to love over the times. That's why she stayed and endured the tortures and hardship. And I like how both of Second Master and Little Monkey didn't too hung up on the past or bear any grudges and instead look forward to the future.
    Or maybe because this is a short story, so the author has not dragged it with dramas and stuffs. 😁 So, good for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Faten Laila,

      Thanks for leaving such a sweet heartfelt comment! I completely agree with you. These kind of inspiring stories are my favourite kind of love - a love born and enduring through hardship.

      I enjoy Little Monkey's simplicity, which is a kind of wisdom in itself. I especially agree that it is Second Master and Little Monkey's ability to look beyond their past that has built such a beautiful future for them <3

      Delete
  30. sniffle.. thats so sweet
    thank you for the hard work :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anna, thanks for reading and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
    2. i read it three times more.. and i cried every time T.T
      you are the best decembi!

      Delete
    3. Aww thanks Anna, this makes me feel so happy.

      Delete
  31. thanks a lot---!
    -prepares myself for more feels-what's preparation worth! i still shed tears--!
    her resilience...at least it wasn't for naught--! -sobs-

    lol! he's jealous, jealous---! ahaha!
    she still hasn't noticed that she's being treated better, and it hurts my heart so much---! ah---!
    but, well, her sincerity in doing things is the greatest! i really admire and respect her! her patience truly paid off!

    oh! he has improved very much, that second master!

    s-she misunderstood! ah---!she thought that since there were other maids now, it was no use her being here! when she left, my eyes blurred and i just cried! oh, my heart! my heart---!

    glad that that housekeeper came to take her back! ah, really great! well, the second master finally said some words...some things, you have to say out loud, ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his jealousy too! I love your instant comments - they are so true to mine as well. <3

      Delete
  32. This is my fourth times reading this.. And I still cried a river!! Still crying while typing this~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww!!! I know. It never fails to make me tear too!

      Delete
  33. Thanks a lot decembi~

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've read this, like, 5 times now and still find tears running. The first time reading it, I cried so much my nose stuffed up. Truely a beautiful love story. Love both leads. Thank you so much for your effort in translating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Chookie, thanks for sharing your reading experience. I teared reading this story too, and I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with a wider audience. <3

      Delete
  35. This chapter is so incredible! Thank you very much for translating it. Their love is so beautiful and pure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I absolutely agree. <3

      Delete
  36. Hi, Decembi c
    I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for translating this wonderful story for the non-chinese readers like me (yet I am absolutely addicted, the moment I found c-novels).
    This is the second time I've read this story(in two days), and there's one thing I don't understand. Why is the old mistress cried so hard and say that the second master is pitiful? She thought that his love is one-sided since little monkey only staying for the contract and now leaving? Or she simply pitied how (pretend to be)unaware the little monkey was of second master's love? If you don't mind clarify that for action, please. I get that the mother somehow feel sorry for her son but not quiet sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear anonymous, thanks for reading and sharing your feelings! I think the Old Mistress did think the second master was pitiful but was exaggerating to make Little Monkey feel bad and stay. I think Old Mistress couldn't really tell if Little Monkey loved Second Master herself or not.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the clarification. So mom's is cheering on her son using this little guilty card, I see. I was reading too much into her actions, always wonder why a mother would abandon her fatally injured son and ran back to her maternal home. I thought she's feeling very guilty...

      Delete
    3. Yes! you are right. Maternal guilt is a huge part of it. <3

      Delete