Sunday, 8 February 2015

Fiction: The Sun's Dark Love (Author's Note)



   Dear readers, thank you for the support for The Sun's Dark Love and The Princess Who Cannot Marry. Whenever I have free time, I have been editing the second chapter of The Princess Who Cannot Marry and translating Heavy Sweetness. Hopefully, my work clears up and I get to update more often!

  For the Author's Note for The Sun's Dark Love, I'm using a picture I didn't get to use in the main story - I imagine this is Xi Yang holding young versions of Yu An and Hsiao Yang (Yu An's younger brother in case you have forgotten haha). They are so adorable!

  In all honesty, The Sun's Dark Love was not a story I planned on fleshing out. While planning for Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission and writing it, I did think of what will happen to Xi Yang after the story and I imagined his other half to be a foreign princess. But, it was only after several cries of we want to see Xi Yang happy, that I seriously worked brain and heart together and wrote The Sun's Dark Love. 

  Since Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission played with the idea of matchmaking and the ideas of choice, fate and destiny, I always knew that the Sun's Dark Love had to be about contract marriage. Haha! There were two versions of how this could play out - one version would be that the story starts after they were "forcefully" married, they would squabble, hate each other but slowly through getting to know each other in the seemingly mundane but loving details of marriage, fall in love. I do like romantic stories where the couple falls in love after marriage - one of my favourite cliches actually! However, I discarded that version since hand to heart, I cannot ever see Xi Yang being forced into doing anything he does not wish to do. So, it would I think diminish his character to have him marry someone he doesn't love - I could write it such that he has given up the concept of love, and is jaded enough to marry for procreation and political purposes, but that just did not fit with my idea of Xi Yang, so I left the plot of characters fall in love after marriage for another day. 

  As you can see, The Sun's Dark Love is the second version. I think there is a kind of beautiful circularity in how Xi Yang goes to find the Dark Princess to get her to break off the engagement (it's really the gentlemanly thing to do right?) and it ends off with Xi Yang insisting that they marry, right here and right now, death, blood and injuries notwithstanding. 




  For Xi Yang, I always knew that it couldn't be any other goddess in the Heavenly Realms. It had to be someone from outside - someone who would not only see him as the Crown Prince, but see him for who he was, all his goodness and all his flaws, give him as good as he got, and soften his hard edges. 

   And, for Wang Huan, this medicinal pig, she goes on this journey where she learns about so many things, but most importantly, that she deserves to be loved and is very much loved - which was why my favorite part of the ending is when she sees the Dark Lord and An Hun arriving to rescue her as well. I tried not to make Wang Huan a typical damsel in distress - though she gets captured twice for her blood (haha) - but I like that she will pretty damn well try and save herself even if she has limited powers. Wang Huan really grows into her role as future Empress later and becomes a really great Healer. I'm so proud of her for that.

  Finally, the hardest part of writing The Sun's Dark Love was in being true to Xi Yang's love for Yue in Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission and yet having it make complete sense that Wang Huan is Xi Yang's true pairing. I'm not sure if I succeeded, but I definitely tried, and I wrote it being true to what I felt was the heart of all these characters. 

   Thank you again for reading! I look forward to sharing more of my imagination and thoughts in The Princess Who Cannot Marry (my husband really likes that story haha!). 

love, decembi




The Sun's Dark Love
Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
COMPLETED Author's Note

24 comments:

  1. I really like the picture as it perfectly goes with the Xi Yang's character of strong personality (arrogant, prideful, intelligent, extremely introvert etc.). Thank you for presenting us a good story with some remarkable characters. Wish you all the best.

    Bluesky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bluesky, I really like your description of Xi Yang - esp the part about being introverted. I would fully agree! Thank you so much for reading my story, it means a lot ♡

      Delete
  2. hi Decembi....

    i would say the story comes in full circle. my xi yang get the happy ending he deserves and i like the way you write how he comes to terms in regards to his feeling for wang huan and a closure with yue.

    truth be told, i love the sun's dark love more. i'm always a sucker for arranged marriage which turn to real love stories - besides, xi yang is my love :)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww uw_maulida, thank you so much, that means a lot! I'm really grateful for your love towards Xi Yang - it-s surreal that characters in my mind can find such great support.

      Me too! I like the dreamy concept of people finding love in arranged marriages (despite the odds) haha

      Delete
  3. hi decembi

    i love your blog and definitely all the stories and translations. i cannot handle curiosity so well so this time i had to wait for you to finish sun dark love first then did i immersed myself in reading it and i reaallyy love it... its awesome!! i wish you will not give up and continue share your imagination, your own world with us C:.. looking forward for your next story.. i never comment before but i really want to say that sun dark's love is well written C:..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving your first comment! *hugs*

      I am amazed at how you were able to wait till the end of the whole story! Hahaha. I really wished I could update faster but my real job is all consuming :(

      Thank you again for your support of my blog ♡♡♡

      Delete
  4. This was a great story and I truly enjoyed it! It's my favorite! I love characters like Xi Yang! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello unforgetableme (awesome nick!), thank you so much for reading my story. Hahaha domineering characters like Xi Yang are fun to write :)

      Delete
  5. one again thank you for your novel and your thoughts on the characters ( a well thought indeed!). i m like you and some others here love the romance in contract marriage/ arranged marriage or perhaps what we should call a forced marriage. ha ha ! it is ever so romantic to find two strangers falling in love in such unforeseeable situation. looking forward to your "yu an" story.

    P/s - hope that you will surprise us with a cny treat by updating another chapter of heavy sweetness.

    giat xi fa cai to you and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha contract marriages ♡ thank you so much for your support! I definitely will have a few more updates!

      Delete
  6. sorry ... should be ... Goat Xi Fa Cai to you and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha that's adorable. Goat xi fa cai!

      Delete
  7. hehe. Thanks decembi for all your hard work. After interning at law firms, I know how hard lawyers work. Jiayouu. And thank you for writing stories that make me fall in love with the characters! Cant' wait for Yu An's story =DDDD rest well during CNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♡♡♡ thank you! Yeah, i worked till 2 am last night :(. Aww thank you for reading my stories. It makes me very happy! I will try and update again this wk

      Delete
  8. The cries have spoken. Pwaha :D
    But, congrats on finishing the story! I love love love love the ending <3
    Ah, I can't wait to read more on Yu An's story :)
    And I love contract marriage xD the bickering,denial,and then the falling in love. But I can see why you picked the second route xD I personally don't see Xi Yang being forced to marry someone for non-romantic purposes and I can say that you did succeed in staying true to Xi Yang's love for Yue while pointing out that it was Wang Huan that was the one for him.
    Hopefully your work does clear up :) So we can go fan girl , lol. So many new dramas nowadays and goodies (translation updates ) ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cries indeed! My husband says I'm too soft-hearted. Haha!

      Thank you so much ChocolateCosmos for reading my story ♡ it's such a joy to share it with you.

      Teehee, a lot of my novel recommendations are contract marriages. I want to write a modern novel with contract marriage as the theme!

      Yes, will update this wk ♡

      Delete
  9. thank you very much for your time, effort and sharing your imagination and thoughts with us :) I feel really happy to have met charachters like Ri (he will always be my Ri :)) and Wang Huan, An Hun and the Dark Lord (I would like to hear more about his and Wang Huan's mother's love story) especially I appreciate your rapport with your readers. I am grateful for this blog! :D
    Dedicated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dedicated :), it's wonderful to hear form you and I'm really happy that you followed my story all the way.

      Thank you so much for being one of my absolutely wonderful readers! Very grateful!

      That's a good idea! If I ever have time, I will think about writing an epilogue for The Dark Love and Wang Huan's mother.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for fulfilling your readers' request on creating a story for Yu An (I have a soft spot for her for this princess :)), and for letting us witness how Xi Yang get his own happy ending.

    Wishing you good health (since you just recovered from an illness) & happy Valentine's!

    -SL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear SL, Happy v day! Thank you so much for your well wishes ♡

      I'm really grateful for readers following me on this journey! I think Yu An is really fun to write. Aiming to post chapter 2 next wk

      Delete
  11. Hi decembi

    Thanks a.lot for the wonderful translation of Sun's dark love. Love it. Finished reading within a day. Excited. Couldn't stop. Keep up your great work. Really appreciate for Chinese illiterate but who enjoy & love reading your translation. Fighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear anonymous, thanks for leaving a comment. It's actually my own story and not a translation ;) but I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  12. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again; you are truly amazing....thanks for the great story. Looking forward to reading the Yu An's story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWW thanks for leaving so many comments and reading my stories. Means a lot <3

      Delete