Saturday, 1 November 2014

#talk 27: Future Projects & Wish List



credits: hiliuyun (recommended by lemonsalt)


   Pretty soon, One Second Spring will turn eleven months old. I can't decide if time is moving fast or slow, for then this blog will also soon finally turn one years old. Slowly but surely, I have filled the blog with so many writings - but still, there is so much more to write!

  I want to write about chinese dramas that I have managed to watch and those that I can't wait to watch. I've actually caught the first eighteen/twenty episodes (the different episode count from different broadcasters are confusing) of The Sound of the Desert (Da Mo Yao) and I can say that it is ultimately a satisfactory watching experience even if the book is emotionally richer. Eddie Peng, Liu Shi Shi and Hu Ge did a really good job. With some more time, I hope to write my drama impressions/recaps of the drama. I promise to catch up on the Mermaid Legend first though haha!

 In this entry, I hope to write more about my thoughts and plans for the blog, and hopefully you can share your wish list too as we reach the one year anniversary mark! Before, I go on - a shoutout to Akatsuki Hikari who wrote to me that she will be translating The Crazy Adventures of Wu Gate (here's the SSB link and my long spoiler review of the book). Go support her if you have always wanted to read the novel in English! ;)


   In terms of current projects, Emperor's Strategy is currently on hiatus. It is a beautiful c-novel and I definitely plan to return to it after I finish Once Promised or Heavy Sweetness. It's just a bit too much to be juggling three ancient c-novels at one time and also be writing my own fiction. So, fans of the Emperor's Strategy, please be patient. 

  For Heavy Sweetness, I had hoped to finish it before the one year anniversary, but the last few chapters of the novel are amazingly long and emotionally complicated. I don't want to sacrifice quality for expediency so I'm not going to rush it. Still, the end goal is in sight!

  So, what will take over Heavy Sweetness? Gosh, I have such a long list of c-novels that you will probably be surprised. Quite a few I have never written on the blog about before - some I have read years and years ago, but have continued to hold a soft spot. I will definitely be introducing a new ancient xianxia novel next year, but it's another long project, and I have decided that before I start on another long ancient c-novel journey, I will do my first modern c-novel translation. I have a book in mind that seems like the perfect length, but I will keep this a secret first. 

  For Once Promised, amazingly, we have translated most of the chapters instead of summarising it. This is really largely due to Tong Hua's amazingly poetic language and wonderful way of weaving all these little details that make so much thematic sense later on. I will be working hard to finish Book 1 either by translation or summary - it's definitely a worthy journey.

  For The Sun's Dark Love, I have gotten into a pretty good pace for it and I think *cross fingers* that finishing it even before the one year anniversary is definitely possible. I have been really grateful for the support and also really excited to finish the whole journey with my readers. I honestly did not plan to start another fiction so soon after The Sun's Dark Love completes, but I think I may just jump right into Yu An's story after The Sun's Dark Love finishes. We will see!

  Finally, thank you for the continued support and encouragement for this blog. It really means a lot to me. I have some special translation goodies in mind for the blog's birthday month and christmas, so I can only wish for more time to fulfill all of these.

With love,
decembi 


P.S. You may share your wish list for the blog here! Who knows if your wish will come true? ;) 

32 comments:

  1. congratulations on your (upcoming) anniversary!! wow you're really a gem! i'm really glad i discovered SSB and your blog with your wonderful translations and of course my favorite Little Moon and Sun's Dark Love...

    yay!! i'm really looking forward to your future projects! esp. Yu An's story :D

    -Deb (afngrl247)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb,

      Aww thanks so much for your well wishes and support! The growth of the blog is really due to the support of the readers! There's motivation to write not just due to the love of the material but in communicating with like-minded friends! :)

      And, thank you for leaving all those lovely comments at my fiction. It really brightens up my day hee.

      Delete
  2. It's crazy how time pass by so fast. Thank you for your hard work decembi! <3
    Can't wait for the completion of Heavy Sweetness and The Sun's Dark Love ><
    -miche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Time flies whether you are conscious of it or not. Me too! Can't wait to complete them. Thank you ♡

      Delete
  3. I actually want the rest of yun zhong ge translated. Koala and sparkskey did most of it but then they both stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read Yun Zhong Ge. I never planned to but I think I might one day just because it's Tong Hua!

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid all the suggestions about YZG will get on your nerves haha *I'm guilty of asking about it too, think I did it once or twice before* xD

      Nightflower

      Delete
    3. Hahahaha it really won't! I love hearing about what people are interested in. But, I have never even read Yun Zhong Ge before. I will probably read Koala and sparkskey's translations one day and decide if it's something I really want to do. But this is lower on my priority list.

      Delete
    4. yeah im guilty of asking too.. hahahah apparently there are others who wanted to read the remaining chapters of YZG.

      Decembi, i really truly hope one day you might consider translating it :'( anyway Happy Pre Anniversary. it has been very enjoyable,reading your blog posts.

      Delete
    5. Thank you icicles! ♡ I have never read YZG cos of the bad ending haha. But i will keep it in mind

      Delete
    6. thank you decembi for asking for our wish list! ^^

      oh yah... i also really wish someone would translate the last chapters of yun zhong ge... i was crying bucket of tears over the last chapters that were translated... you need a good tissue box for this novel for sure!

      otherwise, i would really like for the first chapters of heavy sweetness ash-like frost and once promised to be translated... but maybe you won't feel up to it since you've summarized them already...

      Delete
    7. I haven't had the chance to read Yun Zhong Ge yet :)

      Oh I did not translate the first few chapters because they have already been translated by xiaoyuer. Have you seen them?

      Delete
  4. time flies so fast...thx decembi for translating n review of c-novels...

    p.s : liking the perfect couple art above :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thanks for the support. Yes, the art really looks like Tang Yan and Wallace Huo!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to your upcoming one year anniversary! I'm a die-hard fan and have enjoyed reading your translations and your short stories. I'm so glad that you are going to continue with the The Emperor's Strategy project because I love the interactions and the guys remind me of the amazing ones in Lost You Forever. Whatever you decide, I'll read. Best of luck on your translating and writing endeavors.

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks a lot, Lily, that means a lot! Yes, definitely will continue The Emperor's Strategy, too good to be left unfinished ♡

      Delete
  6. Congratulations decembi! I love reading your translations and stories. My favorite translation is Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost and my favorite story is The Sun's Dark Love. My heartfelt wish is that you continue sharing your translations and stories with us, and that it gives you as much joy as you give us your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading all the comments, i'm actually feeling really touched and kind of teary. Thank you for reading all my projects! I will continue to make onesecondspring a special place ♡

      Delete
  7. Decembi,

    Congratulations!!!!!! Wishing you and this blog all the best!

    I'm so grateful that you take time out of your busy schedule to translate all of these lovely novels for us non-Chinese reading audiences! As long as you continue to write, count me in as a loyal supporter!!

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you!! It's very fulfilling as well because no one shares my interest in real life!

      Delete
  8. decembi, ever since i've read your review of three marriages i've always wanted to read the book. i was impressed that "this novel has the ultimate otp". months ago i actually read the first few chapters using google translate, but i stopped, it was just too difficult to continue paraphrasing the lines for my reading. i really hope you'll take on this project. however, whichever you decide on i remain a loyal blog fan. thanks a lot for all the hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh i'm really glad you like Three Marriages! It's because of that bk that i got to know Moonblossom and hui'er too. It's on my translation wishlist too but will be translated like the Emperor's Strategy because there are boring parts haha

      Delete
    2. oh it's good to hear that. then i'll just have to wait patiently for its turn. :-)

      Delete
    3. Actually, it's also super coincidental that you mentioned three marriages! Hui'er and I agreed that Tang Yan and Wallace Huo will be perfect for the female and male leads in that novel heehee!

      Delete
  9. The crazy adventures of Wu Gate seems really nice, I'll definitley follow the translations for it.
    I'm so looking forward to Yu An's story, I'm sure it'll turn out great! I'm glad you started translating Once Promised and I'm holding my thumbs that you'll continue doing so.
    Congratulations for making it this far, hopefully this blog will last for a long, long time :)

    All these great C-novels make me wish I knew Chinese, but luckily there's awesome translators like you who do your best & put in great effort to share them with us <3 Truly, thank you!

    Nightflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Crazy Adventures of Wu Gate is a difficult story to translate because there a lot of jokes that need a lot of historical or cultural context to get. But, other than the jokes, there are also other interesting parts, so overall, it's definitely one of the better time travelling c-novels around!

      Aww thank you! I think it's a bit shameless for me to speak of my own story like this - but Yu An's story is very interesting to plan! I think it's because of her personality, she just sparkles haha and I think it's very easy for her to have chemistry with all the other characters I'm planning. But I have to finish The Sun's Dark Love first hahaha.

      Thank you so much for your support! Chinese may be a difficult language to learn, but it's quite worthwhile because there's a certain logic and and beauty in its structure ;).

      Delete
  10. Hi Decembi,

    Hoped you have been well. I think time really flew by and congrats on your (apporaching) one year anniversary of onesecondspring.

    The Sound of the Desert TV adaptation has been ok so far but I still prefer the book. The scene where the two pigeons Xiao Qian and Xiao Tao fighting with the hawks made me cry when I read the book but not so much in the drama. Actually I thought the two pigoens kind of reflected the personalities of their two owners, Jiu Ye and Jin Yu so their death was all the more poignant for me.

    Yay I'm glad that you'll still be covering The Emperor's Strategy and will be looking forward to the translations. Jia You for Heavy Sweetness as it reaches the exciting conclusion !

    Have been quietly following The Sun's Dark Love and am eager to see how things pan out for Xi Yang and Wang Huan. Actually, it must be quite tough to write a follow up story for a second male lead who has a second chance at love because the first story leaves such an indelible impression. All the best for this project and the upcoming one with Yu An. I think Yu An's story could be interesting since we haven't seen much of him yet.

    -lemonsalt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lemonsalt,

      It's wonderful to hear from you! :)

      I agree! I totally teared when I read about the pigeons in the book - it was indeed a symbolic death of Jiu Ye and Jin Yu's romantic love when the pigeons died. It seemed like the catalyst for Jin Yu's emotional vulnerability which allowed Huo Qiu Bing to finally seize Jin Yu's heart. Alas, alas. I think the drama sometimes has more swoony and funny parts, but the books tugs on the heartstrings more. I really do like all the actors.

      Am so happy to hear that you are following the Sun's Dark Love. Indeed, to write a follow up story for a second male lead is way too tough, and I doubt I will try to do so again. I only wrote the Sun's Dark Love since it was part of my overarching framework and a good way to introduce the other realms etc too, but writing a second chance of love with somebody else type story is not my favourite type of story arch.

      Do you mean An Hun? Haha. Yu An is positively adorable when she's young. She will be my first really intelligent and shrewd female lead. I try to make all the female leads different, because I don't want to write the same story either haha

      Delete
    2. Hehe yes sorry I got mixed up with An Hun and Yu An. Will the story include An Hun as a potential love interest?

      Delete
    3. Yes. It's Yu An's story with three male leads. I actually thought up of a fourth character which I really like, but four male characters may be excessive and I may use him for another story instead haha.

      Delete
    4. Haha thanks for the minor spoiler. Wow three male leads for Yu An. Is that a blessing or a curse? :D Each suitor from the three different realms? Or perhaps we will see the offspring of some old friends from the first story?

      Delete
    5. Hahahaha! I like your question - is that a blessing or a curse? I'm not sure yet. Haha. Two have already appeared - Hu Zi and An Hun. Hahaha.

      Delete