Sunday, 3 August 2014

Heavy Sweetness Ash-Like Frost: Translation (Chapter 15.2: Under The Faint Purplish Red Moon)



   I think everyone pretty much has been waiting for Chapter 15 - there will come a time in a relationship where there is no more teasing, no more words, and only actions. What can I say? That it is hopefully worth the wait? 

  To be honest, this was probably the most awkward thing I ever had to translate. Parental Guidance is advised! 


Chapter 15: Under the Faint Purplish Red Moon (Part 2 of 3) 

  There were many rules in the Heavenly Realms. One of which was that every forty nine days, all the gods must gather at the Nine Mist Clouds Palace and discuss the important matters of the six realms. There is also another additional rule - the sky beasts and immortal birds cannot be taken into the main hall of the Nine Mist Clouds Palace and have to stay outside at the cloud steps. 

  I looked at the creatures that were flying in the sky, all these immortal beasts appeared fierce and cruel, and not at all easy to get along with. After some deliberation, I placed the Nightmare Beast next to Er Lang God's sky dog. At least I knew that the sky dog only liked to eat the moon and had no interest in deer meat.

  Although it was the meeting of the gods, I did not know why a few days before the meeting, the Heavenly Emperor sent sixteen male and sixteen female immortal attendants to Daddy's Luo Xiang Manor. They had brought a shiny golden invitation to invite me, a small sprite, to attend this gathering. When this grand procession arrived, Daddy was practising his calligraphy in his study, he only lightly lifted up his head to look at this invitation. Although he did not look at it, he appeared to have already realised its contents. 

  After I settled the Nightmare Beast, I followed the immortal child to the main hall and sat besides Daddy. Opposite me was Night, who was sitting in the seat just before the Heavenly Emperor. Night gave me a warm smile. I looked around the surroundings and realised that the fiery bird Phoenix was not around today. My back couldn't help relaxing and my mouth released a comfortable puff of air.

  The Heavenly Emperor and Heavenly Empress sat grandly on the highest positions in the hall. Today,  unusually, the Heavenly Empress did not give me any look of disdain. Daddy elegantly sat beside me, and did not greet the Heavenly Emperor and Heavenly Empress. There were gods who would come up to greet Daddy and Daddy only lightly nodded in reply. After a while, the hall was filled with gods who had came from all parts of the four seas and six realms. The Heavenly Emperor sternly lifted his hand and the gods who were whispering to each other immediately stopped. The Heavenly Emperor solemnly declared, "All the gods here know that I have an agreement with the Water God that my oldest son will marry his oldest daughter. Now that the Water God's precious daughter has returned, naturally this wedding will take place like the water flowing towards the river. Today I invited everyone to this gathering to discuss with the Water God a prosperous date for Night to marry Jin Mi Immortal. May all the gods here act as witness."

  Although I had always known I would marry Night in the end, when I heard the Heavenly Emperor so solemnly announced this, it gave me a strange unreal feeling in my heart. I lifted up my head and saw that Night's distinguished gaze brushed by me and then looked far away. The faint green vein lines in his neck turned a light pink, as if all the stars in the night sky had fallen into his dark pupils and caused it to glitter.




  "The eighth day of the next month is a prosperous date," A clean voice broke my thoughts. My gaze followed towards the voice and I saw that it was the great god of the sea Ne Zha, and the red immortal child of the South China Sea's Guanyin also nodded in agreement. I was a little surprised. Although both of them were gods, they still looked like young dolls that had not grown up*. It was a little unbelievable. The other gods all nodded in agreement, "Indeed, the eighth day of the next month is a prosperous date."

  The Heavenly Emperor turned his head and respectfully asked Daddy," What does the Water God think of setting the date as the eighth day of the next month?"

  Daddy looked at me, lightly nodded his head and said, "Fine". It was decided with one syllable.  
  
  The Moon God who sat on my left side immediately hurriedly said, "How can this be, how can this be? Then what will happen to my Phoenix child?" He turned to me, "Little Mi Er, how can you dump my Phoenix child?"

  Just as I was about to ask what has Phoenix got to do with the eighth day of the next month, there was a huge thumping sound as the hall doors were pushed open. It sounded like the great thunder and all the gods jumped up in shock. I saw one person coming from the light, he held a long sword, his form was straight and proud. He was shrouded in the shadows and the only light came from the flash of his sword blade, which only served to increased his intimating aura. 

  Just as my eyes were about to get used to the piercing light, I saw the face of the approaching person, it was Phoenix. 

  The small hall attendants cowardly reported to the Heavenly Emperor, "Your Highness, the Fire God... the Fire God..."

  The Heavenly Emperor gave out a sigh and waved his hands. The hall attendants quickly left as if shedding a huge burden. 

  "Reporting to Father Emperor, Phoenix has subdued the rebellion in the Northwest and specially came here to report on the completion of the mission!" Phoenix raised his sword and lifted up both his hands into a respectful gesture. A red drop of liquid slid down the sharp edge of his sword towards the floor. I was surprised, and realised that what was on the cold blade was fresh blood. 

   The Heavenly Emperor hid a cough and praisingly said, "Phoenix's ability is truly increasing. I commanded you this morning and you are able to return in the afternoon. You must be tired, you can return to your palace to rest."

  Instead of retreating, Phoenix attacked. He forcefully stepped into the middle of the hall. He was in a robe of white, the sacred white with no dirt nor dust, provided a shocking contrast with the fresh blood on his blade. "I thank Father Emperor, but Phoenix does not feel tired. I wonder what is being discussed at today's gathering? Phoenix has specially come to listen."

  The Heavenly Empress furrowed her brow and looked at me as if she was looking in hatred at a demon. The Heavenly Emperor did not know how to answer and started to cough.

  I saw a red flash move and realised that it was the red-robed Moon God who could not wait to speak, "Today is the day the Heavenly Emperor and the Water God are discussing the wedding date for the Night God and Jin Mi Immortal."

  "Ah? What date has been fixed?" Phoenix's eyes brushed by me, it held such coldness that I could not help lowering my head. 

  It seemed that no one in the hall could handle Phoenix's strong aura. There was silence. "The eighth day of the next month," Only Night appeared unfazed by Phoenix's suffocating pressure, he lightly smiled and warmly replied.

  "The eighth day," Phoenix lightly repeated, the smile on his lips could cause one's hair to stand, as if it was a fascinating topic he kept repeating it, "The eighth day..."

  All the gods in the hall had very good chemistry as they all held their breath, but Phoenix only lifted up his brow and turned to leave, "If so, Phoenix will wait and see!"

  Night smiled and nodded his thanks, "Many thanks to the Fire God."

   The Heavenly Emperor and Heavenly Empress appeared to finally relaxed. After a while, the congratulatory sounds rose in the hall. I followed Night and smiled at the people who came forward and accepted their congratulatory greetings.

  At night, the twenty four flower leaders visited the Luo Xiang Manor. Daddy went out to greet them. From afar, I saw the precise and meticulous chignon** on the Head Flower Leader and felt a faint pain in my brain. I took the opportunity to escape from the back door while no one was noticing me. 

  I had planned to go to the Moon God's House of Matrimonial Bliss to talk, when I saw two immortal attendants playing at the stone steps outside the Pan Gu*** Temple. I went towards them and when they saw me they gave a large gasp of surprise. 

   They hit their chest and said, "You scared me! Jin Mi, you are truly not kind. We were just frightened by his Second Highness and now you have come to scare us too!"

     I blinked my eyes, I did not know how I could have possibly scared them. "How did the Fire God scare you?"

   "How would I know? But when his Second Highness returned from the Nine Mist Clouds Palace, his face was extremely unfriendly. In the deep of the night, he threw out all the attendants in the Qi Wu Palace." He gave me a deep look, "But, this definitely has to do with you. His Second Highness is kind, when has he ever thrown such a temper? Whenever he throws a temper, it is started by you."

  I was speechless. The attendants in the Qi Wu Palace worshipped their Second Highness to a stage of blind devotion. Even if Phoenix had stabbed me with a sword in front of them, they will feel that the fact that Phoenix did not cut me into pieces showed how "kind" he was.

  Besides, Phoenix was naturally mercurial with strange moods, what has his bad temper got to do with me?

  I decided not to be calculative with the attendants. A strange feeling rose in my heart as I thought, did Phoenix get injured from subduing the rebellion today or was his fiery temper due to the excessive "qi" from consuming too much divine lingzhi from a few days ago?

  After some deliberation, I turned around to head towards Qi Wu Palace. Indeed, the doors were wide open and there was no one in the palace. I walked one round and did not see Phoenix. Just as I was about to leave, my heart stirred.

  The wind came from the wind and blew passed my shoulders, the water came from the water and gathered together. It was as if I could not hear the wind in the wind, I could not see the water in the water, but I could vaguely feel their presence. Although I had walked around the Liu Zi Pond for one round and could not find Phoenix's proud shadow, but I had a instinct, that he was around. 

  I was attracted by the ripples in the Liu Zi pond. I bent down and scooped up some water to clean my face. Just as I closed my eyes, my wrist was pulled down with an unstoppable force into the water. 

  My heart was in shock. Before I could react, I was already deeply immersed in the pond. The water started to flow towards me and pushed me down. The incantations that I had usually chanted... all these chants disappeared from my head as I tried to open my mouth to breathe. 

  Before my lips could take in any air, something with a strong osmanthus scent pressed towards me. It was soft and moist, overwhelmingly fragrant, it caused one to become intoxicated and lose rationality. As I lost consciousness, someone stretched out a hand in the darkness and pressed down my nose tip, the force was not heavy, but it stopped my breathing.

  I used all my force to push away this strength, but the grip only became stronger. My wrists were held tight by one long hand, when my hands moved, I realised in my confusion that my hands were being held towards a chest, and pressing against my mouth were two thin lips.

  As I could not escape, instinctively, I opened my mouth to try and get air from the other person's mouth. I fiercely sucked the air from those thin lips. It was not clear if the owner of the thin lips had problems breathing, but each time I sucked the air, it would more brutally open his mouth and madly consume my mouth. He even arrogantly stretched out his tongue and tasted my teeth in frantic chaos. Naturally, I could not show weakness, in order to live, I learned immediately and also stretched out my tongue to grab the few remaining air. 

  After a fierce struggle to the death, although I tried my best to get the remaining air, the thinner air slowly caused my body to soften and my consciousness to blur. Just as I thought I was about to suffocate to death in the pond, the person grabbed both my shoulders and lightly lifted me out of the water. 

  The sudden gush of fresh air caused the insides of my chest to smoothen. I continuously coughed and rather pathetically raised my hand to lift up the messy hair over my forehead, while taking as big breaths of air as I could. I secretly rejoiced that I did not drown to death, afterall if the Water God's daughter had died by water, it would truly become a legendary joke.

  The person in front of me was entirely wet, but still remained distinguished. He looked at me with his eyes that seemed to hook one's soul, I felt a gush of fire flushed to the top of my head. I could not tolerate it, I was truly regretful that I did not break his bones and skinned him to cook and eat. I could have saved myself so much trouble. In my four thousand plus years, I had never been so angry. 

  "You...you...you..." My fingers trembled as I pointed at Phoenix, but I could not find the perfect words to scold him.

  Finally, I pointed towards his lower regions, remembering that the Moon God said that it was the most important spot for men. I bit my teeth and lips angrily and said, "If you treat me so unkindly again, I will make it so you will never be able to use that part again!"


  
*Ne Zha and the red immortal child are great gods that are often shown in children form. 
** A type of hairstyle like a bun. 
*** You can find out more about Pan Gu from the prologue of Once Promised. 

Comments: I agree that Jin Mi has the right to be angry, but Jin Mi has forgotten a sacred rule, Don't play with fire if you don't want to get burned. 

43 comments:

  1. Agh the things you do for us! Thank u for your suffering Decembi... Hehehe

    Oh our bad boy Phoenix.. Jen Mi's accidental mixed messages like kissing him back to steal back air only serves to sink him deeper.... Rawr..

    I have buckets of ice ready for anyone in need after reading this bit n the next ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!!! My favoutite part is actually Phoenix's intrusion when they were setting the wedding date with the fresh blood dripping down the sword

      Delete
    2. Lol yes, they must have thought they did really well to send him off on some random task while they quickly caught up to do the wedding planning.. Too bad they underestimated our Fire God and how important his lil grape is to him! !!!Go Team Phoenix!!!

      "if the Water God's daughter had died by water, it would truly become a legendary joke" - gotta hand it to her, in a life and death situation and she still managed to think abt how the death will look.. There is only one Jin Mi! <3

      Delete
    3. Yes, I love all these sly manipulations - like sending Phoenix off to subdue a rebellion, only for him to hurry back with fresh blood on his sword. This is a very good hint of what is to come...

      Hahahah. There is indeed only one Jin Mi!

      Delete
  2. That's it.... no..... It's getting to the excitement part... Need more asap. Thanks for the tease. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one of the longest chapters heehee ♡

      Delete
  3. yes naive Jin Mi kissing Phoenix only to steal air, is only creating turmoil for the poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha part of it is Phoenix's fault! Poor thing almost drowned!

      Delete
  4. Thank you decembi! LOL raging Phoenix is so random, he's lost his mind. And that last sentence, Jin Mi xD

    Lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Welcome Lola, I hope you enjoyed raging Phoenix... who will rage some more.

      Delete
  5. hi decembi!!

    hee hee, the long awaited scene is arriving soon. i'm wondering how you would translate it into english :D


    cheers,
    lemonsalt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lemonsalt, haven't heard from you in a while! *hugs*

      Heehee oh I translated it already and it's sitting prettily in my backlog. It was surprisingly less awkward than this part and more poetic.

      Delete
    2. yups, i'm a firm supporter of your blog still though! haha at least once a day i check for updates :)

      looking forward to the coming chapter ;)

      hehe will you be posting dear Xi Yang's epilogue soon too? i'm quite excited for that one!

      Delete
    3. Aww thank you! Did you like Hsiao and Yue's epilogue? I'm deciding whether to write Hong Meng's epilogue because it will occur before Xi Yang's epilogue. But you will be happy to know I'm conceptualising Xi Yang's own story!

      Delete
    4. oops sorry decembi, didn't click the right reply, i started a new comment below.

      ~lemonsalt

      Delete
  6. Ahh okies I realized I didn't write a comment for Hsiao and Yue's epilogue.

    It was a good epilogue - humour (Yue's mischievous matchmaking adventures, Master Fei Zhu dares to get his ugly pig trotters on Yue??), bittersweetness (Hong Meng and Hu Jun), sweet and tenderness (from the OTP). Gosh Hsiao is really too sweet!

    "Because, her voice was the most beautiful thing in the world.
    And, I could listen to it forever. "

    Haha only a man in the novel could say this? (And not think his wife is nagging at him :p)

    Actually Hsiao really reminds me of Shi Qi/Du Shan JIng from Lost You Forever. Because they're really sweet, gentle and loving guys.

    Xi Yang's own story - GOLLY!! Any hints on what the story may be about? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's always interesting for me to see the story in someone else's eyes.

      I only realised about the parallels between Hsiao and Jing after some comments! It's true that they both fit the quiet gentle loving type with a mix of silent cunning. Haha. It's quite funny since this differed from my original set-up of the male lead, he was supposed to be more of a smooth playboy type, but as I wrote, my character for Hsiao changed haha.

      I have about sketched it finished 90%! It's going to be around 18 chapters and 2 arcs I think. I need to write out a few chapters to see how it flows. There will be a hint of the set up in Xi Yang's epilogue. Haha. I hope you guys will like it! Because I do hahahahaha.

      Delete
    2. Ah yeah actually there was a smooth playboy vibe I got from Hsiao from the first few chapters. I guess we didn't know about his back story then. Maybe seeing how things got out of hand with his father's harem, he wouldn't want to have one either.

      Wow decembi you're not idle at all! Your brain must be working 24/7. Jia you jia you! Is it going to be light and fluffy too? Will Xi Yang meet someone special? Can't wait for you to share it with us!

      -lemonsalt

      Delete
    3. Oooh then i succeeded a little ;)

      My brain is super overactive!!! Too bad my hands can't keep up? I'm quite excited abt the storyline and can't wait to cobble it out! The first arc is light and funny and the second one is more dramatic. YES, you get to meet the match i planned v long ago ♡

      Delete
    4. luckily I've came back to peak on the discussion for this chapter. I'm super excited about your second fiction with Xi Yang. I bet it'll be just as amazing as the first <3 can't wait, sending lots of love your way to keep those creative juice flowing~

      Delete
    5. Awww thank you thank you sutekii! I'm always amazed when people actually want to read my stories. Makes me feel very loved. Thank you! Actually Xi Yang's story has a huge hurdle, because nobody wants to see him fall in love with someone who is not Yue :(

      Delete
    6. I beg differ, Yue Er already found her happiness with Hsiao. So I believe Xi Yang should get his as well.

      Delete
    7. yay so glad you think that way!!! gives me hope ♡ will be posting his epilogue soon

      Delete
  7. Decembi, thanks for this chapter. you did it well. hahahah i was thinking there would be more than kissing, since you said it was awkward to translate it. hahahah. omg jin mi is so clueless. poor phoenix. I believe he is now more confused than ever, after getting those "french kiss"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! *SPOILER* There will be more than kissing, this is just the start! *END SPOILER* I have to confess I find sucking awkward to translate.

      I think Phoenix is not confused so much as angry that Jin Mi can on one hand act like she cares for him and on the other happily plan a marriage date with Night.

      Delete
  8. arrgghh.. I cant wait for the next chapter. i've actually been visiting your site few times daily, just to see if theres any new updates on Heavy sweetness and once promised. now, i think ill refresh every hour.

    yes. but it was just all Phoenix misunderstood jin mi's action. i cant imagine how night gonna respond to this. from the spoiler it seems that night is using jin mi, but i believe he loves her too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha icicles, that is so cute but you don't have to refresh every hour! I will try to get the next update up soon (I've been concentrating on Heavy Sweetness translations) but work is overwhelming so I don't know fast my schedule is these days, I just try to keep the updates regular :)

      Night's response is in chapter 16! And OMG it is so epic that I think I had a real "I want to change ship" kind of feeling. Night is sooo manipulative and real at the same time.

      Delete
    2. cant waiiittt! this would be epic!!

      so you are working? ganbatte! take care! dont work yourself too hard.

      Delete
    3. Yeah haha i have a full time job which is almost 24/7 these days

      Delete
  9. Ive been.dying.for.this.chapter... more pls? ♡

    - samie

    ReplyDelete
  10. decembi thanks :) wow there will be more then kissing lol , i will waiting next chapter then :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you translated this chapter very smoothly - nothing awkward about kissing or skinship. Whew, the heat! Bring it on (the heat that is, not Super Latte's ice bucket!) Love the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Moonblossom. I think I might have been physically wincing through some parts hahaha. It's so weird to translate it. Fun to read, weird to translate. But the next part was quite poetic so it wasn't awkward :)

      The heat is on! Hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Decembi - Would have loved to know what hubby thought when he looked over ur shoulder while u diligently worked through this chapter for us! Lol
      Calling ur blog a forum is so true, I love it!!

      Moonblossom - good to know u can handle the heat! Teehee being the resident worry wort, I was afraid Decembi might start an inferno here or at least a nose bleed epidemic! Hehehe

      Delete
    3. Hahahah! He doesn't read any of my translations. I forced him to read Little Moon so I have another pair of eyes before I publish it hahaha.

      Aww, I'm really happy that I get to discuss what I love with like minded people! I shall try hard to finish Heavy Sweetness for all Heavy Sweetness fans.

      Heehee, nose bleed? Hmmm i think it's steamy but not nose bleed levels yet.

      Delete
    4. Hehe obviously I need to build up my tolerance to the level of u guys! ;) must..increase..exposure! Lol

      Oh btw couldn't find on this blog how to email u something, I wanted ur thoughts cuz SOOO have mentally casted this novel to TV series already! Now just the small problem of $$$$ to make it happen! Hehehe
      I wonder what Phoenix, Jin Mi and Night looks like in everyone else's imagination??

      Delete
    5. My email is at the sidebar: onesecondspring@gmail.com. ;)

      What's SOOO? I guess Hu Ge as phoenix, Wallace Huo as night and Liu Shi Shi as Jin Mi. Though LSS is not that pretty as described, I can't think of a better actress ard this age grp

      Delete
  12. Gosh! That kissing in the water got me out of breath as well. I really have a fear of drowning under water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too!! if anyone does that to me, i would hyperventilate. poor jin mi lol

      Delete
  13. That image is so gorgeous...is it part of Heavy Sweetness, Ash like Frost? Or is it a random image?

    (Sorry, I originally meant this post not the post under this... ><)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's by a famous chinese online illustrator! It's not part of the Heavy Sweetness series. I think it's for another computer game or something hahaha

      Delete