Monday, 18 August 2014

Fiction: Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission (The Moon God's Epilogue: Waiting)



   The last of the Little Moon epilogues! The Moon God is quite possibly my most favourite character of the Little Moon series. I like to think that every end is only another start. 


The Moon God's Epilogue: Waiting


(i)

The Moon God 

   I looked at the message sent by the Destiny Lord, the ruler of the Wheel of Destiny that governed the lives of all living things in the universe. Today was the last day of Ye Liu's reincarnation on earth. 

  When the Destiny Lord informed me that Ye Liu was reincarnated on earth, I had avoided visiting her reincarnation in the mortal realms. I had wondered if I had affected her previous life on earth, but it turned out that again, she did not marry, was a mid-wife and had many god-children. 

  "Uncle," I heard Yue cry and I lifted my head up from the message. It was Little Moon's first day as a Moon Maiden, my heart felt like it was being torn in two directions. 

  I turned to Yue, "I have to go somewhere first. Just watch the figurines and threads, do not connect anything."

  Perhaps, this was all fated.


(ii)

  It has been almost a hundred years since I last visited Golden Carp Village. I stood under the big oak tree by the river that streamed through Golden Carp Village. The place still looked the same. Perhaps, it was the places that remained while the people went away. 

  Very slowly, I watched a white-haired old lady hobbled over to the river. In her hand, she held a small wooden stool. I went forward to help her carry the stool and brought her under the big oak tree. 

  "Thank you, young man," She said as I carefully helped her sit on the stool.

  "You are welcome," I replied. 

  "Are you waiting for someone?" She asked. 

  "Yes," I smiled. "And you?"




  She gave a warm smile, "I am waiting for my god-children. One of them is visiting me today with his kids."

  "Why don't you wait at your home?" I asked.

  She shook her head, "I will feel too agitated in my hut. I like to wait by the river... with the water flowing, the sun shining, it feels like they are coming to me."

 "Who are you waiting for? Someone from the Golden Carp Village?" She asked. 

  I smiled, "She used to stay at Golden Carp Village, and I know she will be passing this way today."

  She laughed, "Perhaps, I knew her once. I have stayed here for very long..." She looked at the tree and the river, "The places stay, while the people move away."

 Suddenly, a little boy rushed towards her. She opened her arms and embraced him, "Where are your parents, Xiao Hong?"

  The little boy giggled, "They are behind me. Let's go first, Granny Ye, I'm hungry for your pomegranate cakes."

  She nodded as he took her hand and carried the little stool in his other hand. She lifted a final smile at me, "If you have time, come visit my little hut in the village. Everyone knows where Granny Ye lives."

  Before, she turned away, she added, "I hope you find the person you are waiting for."

  I watched her slightly hunched back and the little boy's back as they headed towards Golden Carp Village. 

  I thought back at San Yue's words, "Uncle Liang... I have realised that the lover is the one who waits."

(iii) 

  
   "Who was that man?" Xiao Hong asked Granny Ye as they hobbled back to Granny Ye's house.

    Granny Ye gave a deep throaty laugh, "Someone who was also waiting..."

    Granny Ye added in a soft voice that only she could hear, "Why, if I had only met him when I was many, many years younger."









The translation of the chinese words in the picture: Two wishes, I will give one to you.





    And, that's the last of the Little Moon epilogues. Finally, I think you will know what I meant when I said I had already planned the end when I wrote the start - but, it would not have made sense unless you went through the whole journey. That also applies to life and love, doesn't it?

  Some of you may ask, why does the Moon God not get his happy ending? But, this isn't really a sad ending, right? Because, the Moon God's love story spans lifetimes. Perhaps, because he is everyone's matchmaker, a little bit of his love story spills into all the other love stories. 

  If you enjoyed Little Moon, I hope you will also read Xi Yang's story, The Sun's Dark Love. Many of the characters in Little Moon will appear in Xi Yang's story, and bit by bit, I think we will reach everyone's own deserved end.



Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission!
Chapters: Prologue + 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
  

21 comments:

  1. I think the Moon God's story isn't sad. Being able to see each other in every lifetime is romantic for me. My only complaint for the Moon God is that he is slow haha. He should court her already psh. Is he Donghua Dijun? Does he want the girl to wait for him for 2 thousand years haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love your he is so slow, "is he Donghua Dijun?" comment. To be fair to Donghua Dijun (who I love and Tang7 is a genius), he didn't know that Fengjiu was the fox or that Fengjiu was even special to him. But, the Moon God knows Ye Liu and has the means to find her, he just chooses not to - in fact, he hasn't even really decided on the true nature of his feelings.

      Delete
  2. Dear Decembi,

    Thank you for another beautiful story.

    I love the Moon God in your story, but I'm disappointed with the fact that (quoted from your comment) he hasn't even decided on the true nature of his feeling. It seems a bit unfair for Ye Liu to wait during those lifetimes, because...

    “Waiting hurts. Forgetting hurts. But not knowing which decision to take can sometimes be the most painful...”
    ― José N. Harris, MI VIDA: A Story of Faith, Hope and Love

    Sincerely,

    Diandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Diandra,

      Thank you so much. I really really like the quote you cited. It's so beautiful and true.

      The Moon God like the Jade Emperor is one of the older gods, almost an Ancient - and I think when you have been alive so long, you take on an almost placid zen attitude. This doesn't apply to all gods, but I think the Moon God is very much like that - accepting how time passes, accepting the river's flow, not making an attempt to stop it or change its direction. But, for someone who can be surprisingly emotionally distant, there is still someone who somehow has taken up space in his heart - for the Moon God to actually go down to finally see Ye Liu's reincarnation, even if it does not change anything, says something. But, yeah the Moon God is a verrrrrry slow burn haha, and you will have to wait for the third cycle of Ye Liu's life for the wheels to start moving.

      Delete
  3. Hello Decembi,
    I've been a silent reader for a while bit, but I've thought I'll drop by a comment to thank you for your wonderful story of Little Moon. :) Very fluffy and cute, hehe.
    As for the Moon God's epilogue, I find it to be bittersweet.

    "We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."
    Joseph Campbell

    I think time will come for Moon God, haha.

    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello silent readers,

      Thank you for your very kind and sweet message. :) I'm very happy that you enjoyed Little Moon. It was very fun and fluffy to write indeed.

      The Moon God's story will probably be the toughest to write, which is why I chose to write about Yue and Hsiao first. :) I hope his time will come too. And, I really like the Campbell quote - I hope that there is something beautiful waiting for all of us. <3

      Delete
  4. decembi, moon god's epilogue left me bitter-sweet. I read the chapter this morning, but my mind was all over the place, I was unable to put my thoughts down.

    A quote reminds me of Moon God, "Love is like fine wine... to sip is fine, but to empty the bottle is a headache." he's very reluctant to make his next move and further his feelings and relationship with Ye Liu. It may take a few more lifetimes until he makes progress.

    It's time for me to reflect and write a proper review, it might take a while as I think I'll be reading the fiction again before putting down any words on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sut3kii,

      Thank you for that very beautiful quote. It really stays in my mind- but to empty the bottle is a headache. I love it. It expresses a perfect sentiment.

      Perhaps, that's the fascination when we explore concepts of gods/immortals, if you have extra powers, or if you had extra time, will your decisions change? Does power give you courage or more fears?

      Thank you! I will look forward to it. <3 I'm editing Chapter 2 of The Sun's Dark Love now.

      Delete
    2. I'm curious what does Moon God look like, or do you have an ideal image of him you would like to share? And perhaps you have intention on writing a fiction with Moon God as the protagonist in his younger years.

      Delete
    3. actually ignore that I totally forgot you used a feature image here LOL I'm so muddle.. whenever I think of Yue Lao I think of an old man with white hair

      Delete
    4. Teehee, yes Yue Lao's classic image is this old grandpa with white hair. Haha. I always find his classic image comical.

      For the Moon God, I planned his back story quite a bit, but for where his love and future lies - I only really have about half of it planned, I think part of it is because I don't know if it's going to be happy, sad or bittersweet.

      Delete
  5. I read the whole story over two days and really enjoyed it!!! It was touching as well as funny!!! Thank you very, very, very much for all your hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for reading my story ♡♡♡♡♡ i hope you will enjoy my other fictions too. Thank you so much for telling me how you feel!

      Delete
  6. Truly, a great story. I was moved to tears in the final arc.
    It has a good flow and the chara are endearing
    Thank you very much for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWW! This means so much to me. It makes my heart want to burst.

      Thank you for reading my story and sharing your feelings with me. I'm so glad you enjoyed Little Moon <3

      Delete
  7. I feel like crying because of this sad end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ZzCookie MonsterzZ, aww thanks so much for reading my story. Yes, this part always gets to me. The Moon God's love story spans lifetimes, and there is actually more to it! Hopefully, one day I'll get to write it :)

      Delete
  8. This was a really wonderful ride. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much for reading my story <3

      Delete
  9. Thank you for such a moving love story. My eyes teared twice while reading the story, which I finished in one sitting. :) I am always moved by selfless/sacrificing love (An Chi) and sad (waiting) or endless love (Hsiao).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for such a moving love story. My eyes teared twice while reading the story, which I finished in one sitting. :) I am always moved by selfless/sacrificing love (An Chi) and sad (waiting) or endless love (Hsiao).

    ReplyDelete