Thursday, 3 July 2014

Fiction: Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission! (Chapter 15)


I can’t remember if I shared this but my husband liked chapters 11 and 12. 14 was a personal favourite of his. Chapter 13 is actually my personal favourite (I have a Moon God bias) but the past history kind of went over my husband’s head. Haha. I got a little worried that Chapter 13 was too confusing, but my husband assured me that my blog readers were smarter than him lol.

  I’m very happy to share chapter 15 because this was one of the very clear scenes in my head when I started sketching out the story. And, the picture I found for chapter 15 (insert many tiny hearts), I love it so much! The story will probably be either 17 or 18 chapters. 


Chapter 15: A Heart-Breaking Question

Little Moon/Yue

(i)

    I was a person of fleeting moods. Gods did not need to eat, but I always enjoyed having meals. And, for every meal, I would often struggle to decide what to eat – only because there were so many different types of dishes I desired.

   For a person who struggled even with the simplest decisions – fried or steam? Spicy or salty? Chicken or duck? Strangely, I had no hesitation at all when I was faced with the life-changing decision of choosing between being a Moon Maiden or being with Hsiao.

   Because, the choice was always illusory. Wasn’t the question, at the core of it all, to pick the path true to one’s self?

  I wanted to be a Moon Maiden because I believed in love. Because, I believed in love, I wanted to follow my heart.

  I smiled warmly at my uncle, my eyes crinkled into tiny crescent moons like him, “Uncle, I love you.”

   Uncle patted my head, “You have picked a hard road, Yue. Then again, the course of true love never did run smooth.*”

   “Your divine core is unstable and you are extremely weak. I will send you down during the night when the moon is strongest to meet Hsiao,” Uncle said as he slowly strand by strand placed my stray hairs away from my forehead and behind my ears.

   “I object!” I did not even need to lift my head to know whom the angry voice belonged to.

   “Xi Yang,” Uncle intoned wearily as Xi Yang stormed into the bedchambers.

   “I will personally guard this door to stop you from ever going down to the mortal realms again,” Xi Yang declared and glared at me.

   “Xi Yang Ge Ge,” I started to beg, “I need to go down and speak to Hsiao.”

   “What’s there to speak of? I have already told Hsiao about your identity and destiny,” Xi Yang said, I could tell he was furious and I could see the fine green veins popping up at the side of his forehead.

  “Uncle, I cannot believe you are supporting Yue in her foolish endeavour. Are we to watch her walk onto the path of self incineration?” Xi Yang shook his head in disbelief at Uncle’s resigned acceptance.

  “Xi Yang Ge Ge, I love…” before I could finish, Xi Yang interrupted me.

  “Yue Er, then how about my love for you? Because you love Hsiao, you can give up your fate and face karmic retribution for him. Then how about my love? Uncle’s love? Is the fate of our love to watch you self incinerate? Do you know what that means? There is no reincarnation for a red thread,” Xi Yang spoke in a conflicted tone that hinted at the deep feelings he was suppressing.

  I shook my head, “Xi Yang Ge Ge, 太迟了 (it’s too late). At the start when I allowed Mei Yun to marry Gentleman Yun Feng, when I encouraged General Tie Shi to pursue Princess Bai Ying, I had already plunge forth deep into my feelings and not looked back.”

  I raised my right palm to Xi Yang, the third red dot was already half black, “Even if I stayed in heavens, at the most, I would only be a shell, Xi Yang Ge Ge.”

  I lifted up my eyes directly into Xi Yang’s eyes, the pain that flickered in his eyes twisted my heart. My Xi Yang Gege, the person I admired most after Uncle, everything he did was magnificent, my always arrogant protector.

  Suddenly, we heard the arrival of the Royal Heaven General Jun Lang (君狼- Gentleman Wolf) with a small troop of elite soldiers. He bowed in greeting, “Greetings to the Moon God, greetings to the Crown Prince Sun and Maiden Yue.”

  “Subordinate is under orders from the Jade Emperor to bring your royal highness before him due to the sun eclipse’s this afternoon,” The Royal Heaven General continued bowing his head in deference to Xi Yang, “May Crown Prince Sun kindly follow us.”

  Xi Yang’s eyes stayed with me, “If you go down and meet Hsiao tonight, don’t ever call me Xi Yang Ge Ge again. I am not your Xi Yang Ge Ge.”

  With that, he gave a swift turn and walked out of the bedchambers. I did not even have the heart to call him back.





(ii)

  
    Uncle had passed me his special silver moon mirror so I could watch what happened to Hsiao on earth while I waited for the sun to fall and the moon to lit up. My heart soared for Hsiao when I heard his speech before his father.

   Uncle called my name and I lifted my head up from the mirror, “Yue, it’s time. I will send you down. Only Hsiao will be able to see you. You will need to return by the break of dawn.” Uncle gave a tight squeeze to my right palm and before I knew it, I had arrived at the courtyard outside of Hsiao’s royal bedchambers.

  The courtyard was silent except for two palace attendants outside Hsiao’s bedchambers. It was so silent that I could hear each and every thud of my heart clearly – what would Hsiao say? I suddenly wanted to laugh. What if this was only a foolish unrequited dream of mine? I clenched my fist, but this was my choice.

  I closed my eyes, as I enjoyed the warm moonbeams fall on my face. Suddenly, I heard languid footsteps. The languorous swaying of a man deep in thought.

  I raised my head and smiled, “Hsiao.”


Hsiao

(iii)

   I caught my breath, “Yue.” She was beautiful. She had always been beautiful. But, under the moonlight, in her shimmering white robes that seemed to be threaded out of moonbeams themselves, her fair face with her twinkling eyes that lit up when she saw you – it was as if her whole soul came to life at your call. I was entranced.

  Before she could speak, I turned to the royal attendants guarding outside my bedchambers and ordered them to leave. They looked uncertain for a moment, but left quickly at a stern glance from me.

  With their departure, I could hear Yue sucking in a deep breath of air behind my back.

   I turned back and her cheeks flushed a deeper shade of red, “I have to say it now before you say another word. I don’t have much courage. Uncle always said that I was more ignorant than brave.” Yue paused, and I could tell she seemed to regret how she started, “But, I knew if I had the chance to see you again, the first thing I would say is 我喜欢你 (I like you). In fact, I don’t just like you, I really really really like you. We haven’t known each other for a long time. A blink of an eye in the lifetime of a god actually… as a probationary Moon Maiden, I prided myself on knowing what love is, but until I first felt it, I wasn’t sure. But, I’m sure if love exists, it would feel like what is in my heart.”

  My heart twinged as I recalled Prince Sun’s words to not pull down Yue into my fate.

  Yue looked at me in silent anticipation, half in horror and half in hope. I took a step back, “I like you too, Yue, but I only like you as a friend.”

  I saw hurt flash through Yue’s eyes, but she quickly shook it off and stepped forward, “Are you pulling back because of what Xi Yang Ge Ge told you?”

  She held out her right palm to me, “It’s true… perhaps what good is my love declaration since I have only half a red dot’s chance left of surviving. But, I refuse to bow down to so-called destiny or fate. I don’t care if we had some connection in our past lives. I don’t care who we were. I only care about what we have now and I choose you, Hsiao, I choose you.”

  I cradled her right palm in both my hands as I saw the two black dots and half a red dot. I guessed that each dot must represent one of the three women of my fate. Why has the third dot already turned black halfway? Was it because the Premier’s daughter, An Chi (安池 - calm pond), the childhood sweetheart of Qing and I, was always said to be engaged to the Crown Prince?

  “Hsiao,” I lifted up my head at Yue’s call, “My uncle will call me back when dawn breaks. I only have so much time left tonight. I don’t even know if I have a tomorrow. Hsiao, will you choose me?”

  Yue looked at me with such clear determined eyes. I had so much to say to her in that moment – you saved my heart, Yue. You threw yourself into my life, pulled me into your rhythm, and you made me cared again. I had forgotten how painful it was to care.

  Suddenly, under the moonlight, Yue seemed to grow translucent. My grip on Yue’s right palm tightened. A strong gush of cold wind blew past us and Yue’s body gave a slight tremor.

  I remembered the faint recollection of Yue spitting out something from her chest to save me…

  My body acted before I thought and I pulled Yue into my embrace.

   I sighed, “Yue, how can you ask me if I will choose you? From the start, I was yours. From the start, I was already yours.”

 Little Moon/Yue

(iv)

    Hsiao brought me to a secret garden that he had played in as a child. It had a big clear pond full of water lilies. We sat by the pond under the glow of the almost full moon.

   We shared childhood stories and secrets we had never told another soul. We talked all night. Even when dawn broke, I did not want to leave.

  I turned to Hsiao, and embarrassedly looked at my hands, “I need to ask you something, Hsiao.”

  “What?” Hsiao asked curious.

  “Will you marry me?”

  Hsiao’s eyes widened. I cringed inwardly, “I know this is a bit abrupt but Uncle suggested that if our feelings were mutual, we could marry in his temple tomorrow when it was the full moon and it could possibly change our fates.”

  I quickly added, “I can understand if it’s too fast, after all, you are also the Crown Prince now and you have your childhood sweetheart and…”

  Hsiao placed a finger at my mouth to stop me from speaking, “Yes, it’s too fast because you asked me first.”

  For the first time, I saw that Hsiao’s cheeks had a tinge of pink, “I don’t even have a token now to ask for your hand in marriage. I wanted to follow the proper procedure and obtain the permission of your Uncle first…”

  I laughed as I grabbed Hsiao’s hand, “Is that a yes?”

 Hsiao pulled me up onto my feet. He then bowed down on one knee. With one hand on his chest and the other entwined with mine, he looked up to me, his eyes clear and steadfast, “Yue, I don’t know if you know this but the Emperor in the mortal realms is commonly said to have thousand of concubines. But, I, Hsiao, do not believe in that. I only have one heart. It was entombed, locked away, in the belief that I was carefree but I was merely in a suspended state of not caring.”

 
  He placed my hand on his heart, “I did not know when I started caring for you. You stumbled into my heart and made it your own. Yue, if you do me the honour of becoming your husband, I promise to care for you until both our hairs turn white. Until the last dawn breaks in both our lives, I will love you to the very limits of my soul.”

  “You ask me if this is yes,” Hsiao looked deep into my eyes, “Yue, this is my declaration that for you, it will never be no.”


 
 


*A favourite quote of mine from Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream.

   

Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission!

Chapters: Prologue + 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
COMPLETED Author's Note 
Epilogues: An Chi Hsiao&Yue Xi Yang The Moon God

34 comments:

  1. *sigh* so swoon wothy... thanks so much decembi *hugs*

    Good day!

    - samie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy! *hugs* have a lovely day, samie ♡

      Delete
  2. “Yue, how can you ask me if I will choose you? From the start, I was yours. From the start, I was already yours.”

    decembi you're like Willie Wanker giving us a golden ticket to the chocolate factory. *swoon* This chapter is full of sweetness.

    Aww one more chapter until the ending *tears* It's been a wonderful journey, can't wait for the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, sutekii, I'm so happy you like that line (heehee, personal fave of mine too) and I would love a golden ticket to the chocolate factory. Teehee <3

      Thank you for accompanying me through this journey. I'm working hard towards the ending!

      Delete
  3. <3 <3 <3... sweetness overload...

    make it 18 chapters please... hehehe..

    -aimey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee sweetness overload!

      Thanks aimey! I'm not really sure how long chapter 16 is going to be, just did a rough sketch, it will either be really long, then only 17 chapters, or it will be split into chapter 16 and 17. The ending is very clear. Haha.

      Delete
  4. Sooooooo Romantic...

    i love how hsiau react, i love that he isn't become one of the idiot nobility like we have seen in many dramas when they face a hard choice.

    dun dun dun... cant wait for the next.. i can hear the wedding bell is ringing, isnt it... hahahahaha

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah. The one line summary of this chapter is Yue does not let Hsiao be a noble idiot.

      <3 Thank you She.ly for reading :)

      Delete
  5. I love the picture in this chapter - it reminds me of the scene in Disney's Tangled when Flynn and Rapunzel saw all the floating lanterns from the canoe. Something very magical and surreal about floating lights, water and a night scene surrounding lovers :)

    Luckily Yue did not let Hsiao walk on the path of noble idiocy and instead is the one the initiate the proposal. You go girl! I like how Yue decided on her fate like it was even simpler than deciding on what to eat - no thought needed, just follow your heart. She and Hsiao make a perfect pair :)

    An Chi (安池 - calm pond) - would she be the one to calm the troubled Qing? I hope so. And not be a troublesome third party to Hsiao and Yue.

    This is the paragraph I love the most in this chapter - “Yue Er, then how about my love for you? Because you love Hsiao, you can give up your fate and face karmic retribution for him. Then how about my love? Uncle’s love? Is the fate of our love to watch you self incinerate? Do you know what that means? There is no reincarnation for a red thread,” Xi Yang spoke in a conflicted tone that hinted at the deep feelings he was suppressing.

    So much heartbreak and love in those lines. In those words that Xi Yang has spoken, Little Yue has really grown up because she's choosing her love over her family and the place she has grown up. We see what it really means for Yue to follow her destiny with Hsiao. Also, poor Xi Yang, the girl he has loved for so many years and that has always been by his side is no longer only looking at one sun :'(

    Decembi, I hope you can write a nice epilogue for Xi Yang and Yue :)

    - lemonsalt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lemonsalt,

      Oooh I love the lantern scene in Tangled too! Didn't make the connection, but you are right. :)

      Yes, I really wanted Yue to take action here, since this was her life more than anything. <3 I'm so happy you think they are a perfect pair.

      I really love your lines for Xi Yang. One sun indeed! I have a cute epilogue planned for him, and am deciding how long should I make his story.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I really wanted Yue to take action here, since this was her life more than anything. <3 - Haha you're a really good author-mum, your leads get alot of love from you :)

      Xi Yang's epilogue should be as long as you can possible make it :D

      Honestly I will be quite sad when your story ends and we have to sad goodbye to your characters ...

      Delete
    3. Oooh author-mum! What a lovely term hahaha. It warmed my heart.

      I'm quite excited to finish the story actually, since I have been dying to share the ending ever since I started. I will write a few epilogues so we get to see cute and funny bits <3

      Delete
    4. Yes it's a mixed feeling of excitement and sadness as we're heading to the end! I can't wait to see the epilogues :) (Any hints on what Xi Yang and Uncle Moon's epilogues will be like?)

      Delete
    5. Xi Yang's epilogue will be a funny cute Hsiao vs Xi Yang kind of epilogue hahahaha

      Delete
    6. Awww haha ok looking forward <3<3

      Are you planning one for Hsiao and Yue's after marriage scenario too?

      Delete
    7. Haha haven't thought of a good one for that yet. <3

      Delete
  6. UPDATE!!!! omg.. i feel like shouting to the whole world.. lol.. thanks a lot... *hugs n a lot of kisses*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* Aww, thanks so much for enjoying my story.

      Delete
  7. Woot!!! Woot!!! oi, lovebirds, you make me feel jealous with nothing but sweet words to each other. If what I have now is what you call true love, then I agree with Shakespeare.

    I want to read this chapter slowly to have a good digestion but I was greedy and went really quick in reading it. Like Lindt that melts in the mouth with its creaminess, I will re-read this chapter again coz it gives me a buzz and warm, fuzzy feeling of being in love and being loved.

    Thanks Decembi!!!

    Peachie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peachie,

      Lol regarding the shakespeare quote! I wish you a smooth journey <3

      Teehee I love Lindt chocolates too. Thank you for saying it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, this makes me feel very loved. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. ahhh...so sweet!!! :) thanks for nice chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you giginkanovels :), your comment is so sweet.

      Delete
    2. :-Dyou know, not just my comment, Im sweet too :-D ;)

      Delete
  9. Thank you Decembi!!

    *gleefully clap claps like a seal balancing a ball on its nose*

    I'm in awe at your creativity... I started to read this just yesterday after your promise of fluffy lovey dovey with a HE and man, marathoned it!! This must have taken ages from scratch to get to this point and you have something you should be really really proud of! :)

    A few favourites of mine

    - the multiple perspectives we get to experience the story in, it fleshes out the characters more, bring them to life, plus enriches the story because none of them, until this chapter, actually voice why the feel whether it be the Moon God, Yue, Hsiao or Prince Sun.

    - the concept of various shades of red threads which denote the kind of love/fate that binds people: mutual, unrequited, tragic, passionate, mild, budding, respectful without love etc...

    - “You ask me if this is yes,” Hsiao looked deep into my eyes, “Yue, this is my declaration that for you, it will never be no.” *insert fan girl squeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllll*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello super-latte,

      Thank you for your super sweet comment ♡♡♡ it gives me much encouragement to go on. I started to conceptualise the story in april ;) though writing was mainly in june.

      I'm really glad you enjoyed the various povs and red threads too! Cant wait to share more

      Delete
  10. lol @ super-latte :) cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a thought ;)

    Since Yue & Hsiao are meant to be.... prince Xi Yang is destined for Jin Mi mi ... yehey!!!

    Good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha this really made me laugh. I don't think Jin Mi is Xi yang's type though and hmmm xi yang vs phoenix, wonder who will win ;)

      Delete
  12. Xi Yang = Phoenix.... continuation of Xi Yang.destiny.as.Phoenix ended.wt Jin.Mi ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha i wonder what wld Dian Xian think of that. Though xi yang is the nephew of the moon god like phoenix lol! Xi yang is the sun and inspired more by apollo though lol. Alternaverse?

      Delete
  13. This chapter is so sweet!!! Xiao and Yue are finally together! I really do want them to grow old together! Thank you for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you. :) Thanks for the support. I'm editing chapter 16 now. Haha.

      Delete