Monday, 16 June 2014

#talk 18: To Celebrate Moonblossom Completing Gentleman Free-Flowing Cloud!



Picture credits: mlcamaro

  
  When Lemonsalt sent this picture to me, I thought it could be a picture of Huang Fu Yun in between her two men, He Zai and Gong Sun Yun. Heehee. I wanted to express my happiness and gratitude for Moonblossom guestblogging her translations for Gentleman Free-Flowing Cloud on my blog and how amazing is it that we are finally going to cross the finishing line?

  *THROWS CONFETTI AND POPS CHAMPAGNE*

  For anyone else curious, Gentleman Free-Flowing Cloud ("GFC") is actually the prequel to "To Rule The World With One Cry" (一鸣天下). The novel, To Rule The World With One Cry ("One Cry"), actually deals with the story of Gong Sun Yun and Huang Fu Yun's son. Both stories are actually very different, GFC is a wonderful funny story with lots of wit and heart, while One Cry has more of a mystery and is more melodramatic though it has Yu Qing's trademark strange humour.

  Gong Sun Yun and Huang Fu Yun don't really have much of a role to play in One Cry and hardly appear. Gong Sun Yun makes a short scene appearance but bears no resemblance to how funny and cool he is in GFC. In One Cry, Huang Fu Yun's son falls for Gong Sun Yun's cousin (?) (never really explained, but basically she is the aunt but is younger), who gets poisoned at a very young age because some secret sect wants to kidnap her for her ability to memorise everything in one glance. She is said to be extremely beautiful when she was young, but when the story starts you see a plump girl who cannot stop eating. You later learn that to stop the poison, they placed a worm in her stomach and she has to keep eating or the worm will get hungry and she will die. The whole story is about Gong Sun Yun's son trying to find the sect to get the antidote for the female lead character. The story while humorous in parts, is rather more heavy due to the subject matter - and there was one part where I teared. I thought the part where Gong Sun Yun's son actually replied long love letters to the female lead's letters, but never sent them was a cute part - and he used it as a motivation for her to stay alive later. But, overall, it was also quite confusing because Yu Qing liked to mix up the timelines and have flashbacks here and there. Recommended read, but read with lower expectations! 

  One cute trivia - Gong Sun Yun's son to gain martial prowess quickly was brought by Huang Fu Yun to He Zai to learn the demon sect martial arts! Haha. Because Gong Sun Yun's martial arts needed to be cultivated over a long period of time and Gong Sun Yun's son has no patience. But you don't actually get to see this in the novel at all, and it was just mentioned in the author's note at the end of the story. 

  When Moonblossom releases her last chapter, I do hope that all longtime fans and silent readers can give her the support and gratitude for her amazing work. It is with a heavy but happy heart as we send Huang Fu Yun and Gong Sun Yun off to their happy ever after. 

  Readers of my other projects, do not fear for I am still translating, though a bit slower due to my health. I also thank everyone for the support for Little Moon and look forward to completing it soon and sharing my whole vision with everyone. 

  Till then, endure, endure! 

  

  


20 comments:

  1. I'll Endure :)

    Thanks!

    - samie

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! It's been a wonderful journey with Moonblossom on "Gentleman Free-Flowing Cloud!". I won't write too many thanks here since I'll save it for tomorrow's final GFFC post.

    Hope you're recovering well decembi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still sick, but will be on leave later this week for extra rest. <3

      Delete
  3. I'm very thankful to Moonblossom for translating "Gentleman Free-Floating Cloud" and posting spoilers on Lost Forever (when I read Jing married his fiancee, I got a headache but thanks to Moonblossom, I felt at ease knowing Jing got the girl hehe).

    "Gentleman Free-Floating Cloud" will always be my most favorite literature along with gu fang bu zi shang, akatsuki no yona and Twelve Kingdoms (i so love kickass heroines and ranking them will be hard.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee! Fellow Jing fan! <3. I keep hearing recommendations for Twelve Kingdoms!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful.... and great job for moonblossom, cant wait for tomorrow.. moonblossom said she will post the last chapter... thank you for all your hardwork...

    cheers
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for the finale as well! :)

      Delete
  5. It's been a pleasure reading GFFC, so thank you moonblossom and dare I ask for more light hearted novel.. Because it's far more better than angst such as *ahem* once promised or Yun Zhong Ge where I bawled my eyes out after reading it

    Lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good lighthearted novels are rare. I know a few more, will review them when my schedule clears up :)

      Delete
  6. thanks to moonblossom for translating this novel . i like this novel so i'm glad when moonblossom decide to translate it :) and thanks to u too decembi :) hope you get well soon:) . Decembi how about To Rule The World With One Cry ....do you have the link and can put in ssb? no need hurry , when you already health and have time :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link for one cry:http://91baby.mama.cn/thread-877930-1-1.html ;)

      Delete
    2. thanks for the link decembi i will check:)

      Delete
    3. Tell me if you have problems! :)

      Delete
  7. Aww..... I finally came back to my safe haven on the internet after one crazy weekend, and found this. Thank you for your thank you, Decembi and everyone. I have a lot of pent-up feelings after reading LYF and one thing lead to another, and somehow, I ended up doing a 50,000+ word-for-word translation for GFFC. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and wish you all the very best in real life. Mb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Decembi & Moonblossom,

    Yes thanks for translating all the stories and providing a community to talk about the novels :)

    Will write a comment when the GFFC finale has been posted after the ranting comment after the controversial cliff scene :)

    It is interesting to know that the continuation of GSY and HFY ever after through their son.

    "Gong Sun Yun makes a short scene appearance but bears no resemblance to how funny and cool he is in GFC." - Perhaps fatherhood changed him? ;P How different is he from his young self? More like the naggy GSZ/Fifth brother?

    Was there any other mention of He Zai besides him training their son? Like did he ever marry and find a good woman too?

    Perhaps for Little Moon's Matchmaking Mission, you could write a short epilogue for their children too? And some after marriage tidbits, like Come Eat Shan Shan :) Yes I'm very interested in Prince Sun and Uncle Moon's backstory too!
    *SPOILER FOR Lost You Forever*
    Oh yes, Ms Koala posted a new chapter translation for LYF. Reading the Zhuan Xu focused chapter makes me sad - I didn't take note of Zhuan Xu much when I first read the book because my attention was more focused on Xiang Liu and Jing. Now I'm starting to realize how much Zhuan Xu loves Xiao Yao - the chapter showcases Zhuan Xu's intense and passionate longing for Xiao Yao - I can finally understand why Zhuan Xu said he has always been waiting for Xiao Yao to turn back and see him as a man. In different circumstances, I believe that he and Xiao Yao could be happy together as a couple. LYF really has the most three equally amazing and flawed male leads.

    Hope you're enjoying your one week break Decembi! Rest well, recuperate and recharge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lemonsalt,

      Hahaha fatherhood changed him! Hahaha. He just seemed very proper and old I guess. I think it's because One Cry was wrote before the prequel, and the author only really fleshed out GSY and HFY's awesomeness later. There was NO mention of He Zai at all in the real story :(, very sad. But I believe He Zai married a good woman lol, hopefully not Che Yan Yan.

      Teehee! Children. *Giggles to self* Melanie told me that I can't be so cruel to Uncle Moon, haha to help people find love but have no love himself!

      *LOST YOU FOREVER SPOILER*
      I really didn't feel anything for Zhuan Xu when I finished LYF, but after reading all the Zhuan Xu fans, I have started to have a soft spot for him as well. The power of Tong Hua? But what I liked about the story is that there's only one circumstance in the end, and this is it! Which is why we can mourn for Xiang Liu, but also feel - ah this is it, indeed!


      I have to cancel some of my leave due to urgent applications :(. But, I'm recovering! :)

      Delete
  9. oh already the end of the book. it has been already more than two months since awesome moonblossom started to translate this novel. Thank you so much. I did really enjoy all. The story, the debate. Thank decembi for being a great host and hope you are going to be soon in better health.
    you know I like being sick because my mom used to feed me with all sort of congee (pumpkin congee, seaweed congee, fish congee, ... ) that I became addict to congee so I am always happy when I m getting sick so i get to eat her wonderful congee. another tips when you are sick, drink some GROG. 掺水烈酒 (hope it is a right world) but don't become addict to this ;)

    bookseater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bookseater for your well wishes! I've improved quite a bit in health, just waiting for work to settle down more now. <3 I have been eating so much congee!!! Hee.

      Delete