Wednesday, 9 April 2014

#talk 9: Once Promised and Translations Schedule!




   Hello! Xiao0yuer has announced on her blog that she won't be translating Once Promised anymore and will be looking at other c-novels to translate (haha so go comment on her blog if you have always been desiring for a certain c-novel to be translated haha). 

  I thought I would explain the process here since there have been a few announcements in between and to prevent any confusion about the Once Promised translations. 

  I think I had translated till Chapter 4 of Once Promised and xia0yuer returned to SSB and had interest in translating Once Promised too. So, we tried a round robin system where we would alternate the translations, I will do odd chapters and she will do even chapters. I was going to maintain my summary/translation style, and after xia0yuer started on chapter 6, she decided that she loved all the characters in Once Promised too much and wanted to do full translations. So we tried to continue the round robin, but since we have different translation speeds and xia0yuer couldn't follow a fixed schedule for the round robin, we decided it would be best if we just translated at each of our own pace and both of our blog readers could follow. 

  We tried to work it out so there is no duplication, but it's quite hard because we have our own blogging pace. I told xia0yuer I was perfectly fine though if we duplicated some parts since we have our own translating styles and some readers suggested translating the parts I summarise but xia0yuer decided that her time is better spent on translating another c-novel. 

  So, it's disappointing that we couldn't work out a schedule (so sorry, Once Promised readers!), but I'm sure whatever novel xia0yuer chooses to translate later will be great. So, full support for all her future endeavours! So sorry, that now you are just stuck with my translations/summaries, but if any other blogger is interested in translating Once Promised, please feel free to translate! I really don't mind independent versions of translations since we are all just fans of Tong Hua. 

  Ok, so that's that! I will try to fully translate Once Promised since xia0yuer doesn't plan to anymore! *Cross fingers* That there are more than 24 hours a day. Haha. 

  In other news, I will be extremely busy at work for the next 2 weeks. But, I've already translated the weekly updates of Heavy Sweetness, Once Promised and The Emperor's Strategy in advance (for 2 weeks! I haven't read a new c-novel in ages! Haha). So, I'm scheduling the updates and you may find that sometimes the blog is updated but the comments are not replied to yet. It's because the blog is going to automatically update itself (haha). But, it's always my policy to reply all comments, so I will still reply just at a slower pace. 

  Can't wait for the busy month of April to be over! Tentatively, May should be more free and I'm going to try and really speed up Heavy Sweetness Translations. It's my aim to complete it (shall not state the exact date or the pressure will be too huge). Haha. 

  Till then, take care and thanks for reading :) 

13 comments:

  1. I really admire you guys who translate chinese novels. I speak vietnamese but am illiterate in it so I depend on vietnamese audiobooks. -_- I can barely understand it in vietnamese so translating it to english is pretty much a superhuman feat in my view.

    Thank you decembi for sharing your hard work with us! I really appreciate it. I wish there was a wider market so we can get chinese novels in english, but since we don't, I am super super grateful there are awesome people like you who is willing to use your free time to share these awesome novels! I'm a huge fan of your blog!! Good luck with work! Jia You!

    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kim! Thanks for the vouch of support, it really motivates me to update as fast as I can because I love chatting with people about the books :)

      I believe that one day, there will be an english market for chinese books, China is a growing superpower and there's really a surging number of people picking up Mandarin as a second or third language --- a little exposure goes a long way. Frankly, my mandarin is above average in Singapore but considered pretty poor in China! Haha. We don't have the same education background where you really learn about the meaning of chinese words and the poetry! Ah, the chinese poetry! I'm trying to brush up my chinese history and literature actually haha

      Delete
    2. For what it's worth, I think you've been doing a fantastic job translating the more lyrical prose into phrases we can all understand. Really! :)

      I'm TERRIBLE with Chinese poetry; my understanding is below nursery school level. Ahahahaha, in fact, the only two poems I can recite off the top of my head are Li Bai's 靜夜思 and Cao Zi's 七步诗 and that's because they only have 4 & 7 verses respectively. *embarrassed*

      Delete
    3. Aww joanna! Thank you so much. I try my best but I'm really really really bad at Chinese poetry, I think I'm also below nursery school level. I can't recite any chinese poems off the top of my head (blushes)! I like the 七步诗 a lot, but I have to confess that I only know it from a dramatic retelling from TVB! Heehee

      Delete
  2. That's such a great attitude to have: 'we are all just fans of Tong Hua'! Indeed. I wouldn't have known of her though if it weren't for all of you darlings taking time to translate!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

      Delete
  3. Thank you soooo much decembi!! I think I am beginning to become addicted to c novels
    .( thanks to u awesome translators)

    Thank you do much for sharing such great books, I promise I will comment more!!
    Gambatte!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! Welcome to the addiction of c-novels. It will never end! There are sooooo many good c-novels out there and more are being written as we speak *eyes start to glaze over*

      Thanks for commenting and I will look forward to hearing more from you :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck during the busy next two weeks, decembi~!!

    I'm so amazed that you've have the weekly translations of all three novels already translated. How do you do it? 真的很佩服妳~!

    lol, I'm going on obasan age so most of everything I do (outside of work) tend to be at a much slower pace nowadays. All I know is that I wouldn't be able to churn out the same quality and length of your translations especially at your pace, especially since we're nearing the end of tax season here in the States. =X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm praying it won't be a "hell" week, though I'm nervous already for it. Hahaha.

      Haha, actually, I am foremost a c-novel reader and only secondly a translator, so when I write, I really write more in the perspective of a reader haha. I think it's more fun to follow something if there is a regular schedule to it, be it weekly, fortnightly or monthly, I find it hard to follow something if it's not fixed. So, before I started, I already promised myself that I will not make any thing a translation project unless I will (i) finish it and (ii) update it weekly. Haha. That's why I break the chapters into parts, that's the only way I can be sure I will be able to update weekly, and I try to update more than once if I manage to translate fast enough. :)

      I usually read one or two hours before I sleep, but I have not read anything for this month and only have been translating instead (*sweat drops*). So, I'm looking forward to May! Woohoo.

      Haha I can't imagine you going on obasan age! I have to file my taxes soon in Singapore. Always a glum thought :(

      Delete
  5. Awww - it's so nice to give us a translation schedule. Thank you ^^ And good luck with the coming busy weeks... I have an exam at the end of April myself and really should NOT be reading any translations... let's call it my comfort food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best for your exams! Haha, I love discussing about c-novels and writing about it, they are my de-stressing tool! Reading readers' comments also make me happy in the midst of my stressful work. Haha.

      Delete