Monday, 23 December 2013

Three Lives Three Worlds, Ten Thousand Miles of Peach Blossom (三生三世,十里桃花) Review & Analysis (4.5 stars - HE)



     In my previous summaries (gosh, I really need to learn how to summarise briefly), I highlighted some of my favourite parts and what I thought was pivotal moments for me as a reader.

     Actually, what really struck me while I was reading 3L3W, 10 Peach Blossoms was that it used one of the well-loved conventions - couple parts due to some misunderstanding, a child is born out of the relationship and stays with a parent (usually in secret), they re-unite again usually because of the child, and get together! I've read a few modern c-novels using this convention and they are usually more fun than usual because of the child - who is usually extremely cute, intelligent and usually solves all the obstacles that riddled the couple previously, eg, misunderstandings from miscommunications or parental objections. 

  So, the story uses the couple meet again with child convention but in a fantasy construct and this actually is more imaginative - because the child is from the female lead's past life! Also, it was more novel in this case because the child is left with the father and Ye Hua is truly a doting and adorable father. 


   What I really liked about Tang Qi Gong Zi is how she subtly weaves in details or the emotional states of the characters in their actions or seemingly throwaway lines. Rarely, does she explicitly say why the characters do a certain action or how they feel directly through the characters themselves, and the side characters then usually act as the chorus and provide the exposition - for eg, Immortal Zhe Yan coughing or making some awkward action when Mo Yuan acts out of character with regards to Bai Qian Qian's news of her engagement or Little Dough when Ye Hua acts out of character because he is jealous. 

  But Tang Qi Gong Zi also has a lot of rather tangential plot lines that are often unsatisfying because they don't serve the main plot as effectively as perhaps the reader will like. For eg, the synopsis talks about Bai Qian Qian having five peach blossoms and you get this strange misconception (well I did haha) that the female character will go through several intense relationships but this is not true at all - in fact, the only other viable male lead, Mo Yuan, to Bai Qian Qian besides Ye Hua is not even listed as one of the five peach blossoms. So, I thought that plot was rather redundant - and even the romantic sub plot with the Demon King Li Jing was rather... half-baked. 

  The other tangential plot with Bai Qian Qian going down to the mortal world and Ye Hua looking after her... was also rather weak. Although, it does have some relevance down the line with The Pillow Book - I thought it was weak because it did not serve as an emotional engine or catharsis to Bai Qian Qian and Ye Hua's relationship... which just kind of meandered during these sub plots, when I wanted them to explore more interesting things because gosh, their relationship angst had so much more potential!

  But, at the end of it all, I really loved this c-novel which was largely unpretentious, of relatively good length and kept its spirit from start to end.




  I wondered if Tang Qi Gong Zi had planned to trick her readers from the start - because I think many (just like me) thought that Ye Hua was a reincarnation/another lifetime form of Mo Yuan. This actually makes more sense with the title - Three Lives Three Worlds - I thought it was quite beautiful - A' Yin and Mo Yuan, Su Su and Ye Hua, Bai Qian Qian and Ye Hua - their love story spanning three life times - Ye Hua always loving Bai Qian Qian even if she could not see it in its real form. But, the rug got pulled under my feet when it was revealed that Mo Yuan and Ye Hua was twin brothers!

   I still preferred the reincarnation theory (haha), but I also found the official version sweet, because Ye Hua actually fell in love with Bai Qian Qian when he saw her as A'Yin through Mo Yuan's consciousness when he was still an embryo. So, their fate was in a way linked through three lifetimes. 

  Bai Qian Qian was a female heroine I could root for. She was a pretty careless (I won't use callous haha) mother to Little Dough and that is really her failing. But, she was a woman of action - and I like that, and she never allowed herself to be bullied or cheated or mis-used. Her coldness to Ye Hua and her refusal to be aware of her feelings could be understood through Demon King Li Jing breaking her heart, but I think also a subconscious bitterness that flowed from her being Su Su and believing she was utterly betrayed by Ye Hua in her past lifetime, which had caused her to freeze her emotional state. 

  However, I loved 3L3W, 10 Peach Blossom in the end because I love Ye Hua. I thought Bai Qian Qian's realisation of her love and awareness of Ye Hua at the end, when she realised how blood soaked his black robes were was very beautiful. She could not see that Ye Hua's black robes were blood soaked until he collapsed - how hurt and injured he was, because Ye Hua from start to end was a man who hid his vulnerability. Sight played a big part in this novel, and I think it was not just physical sight but emotional perception - even when Su Su had her eyes, she could not see the reason behind Ye Hua's actions and his real feelings (not really her fault since this was deliberate manipulation on Ye Hua's part), and even when Bai Qian Qian gained back her eyes, she still could not see - she only knew that she still love Ye Hua but could not forgive him for not trusting her, for not knowing her. 

   But, at the end, she realised - but did I know him too? Ye Hua, with his black robes, and equally dark heart. At that point, I think she realised that there are many things both of them might not know of each other, but one thing is for sure - that through two lifetimes, they loved each other more than life and death itself. And even if memory fades, and even if everything else changes, they will still meet and love again, when the peach tree blossoms. 

11 comments:

  1. Once again, spot on review! This was definitely a difficult read but it was very rewarding especially the ending! (Even more so since I read this after Chang Xiang Si which tore my XiangLiu ship apart) Other than the subplots, the interaction between YeHua and BaiQian was uber cute. Despite being hurt by YeHua through misunderstandings in her past life, she fell for him once again. I mean how do you resist a man who can cook! ;) This was a nice, smooth sailing book for me, there were some little waves but nothing too drastic that happened between the two. Little AhLi definitely filled the novel with a bit more humour! Love Love Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was probably one of my first reviews and my writing was still quite rusty. But I love love love Ye Hua and Bai Qian :) and I still plan to re-read it again one day. This is a sweet candy of a book.

      Delete
  2. I am watching the TV series at the moment and am definitely falling in love with Yehua's dark image ie. he looks so cool!!

    I must admit that I am actually enjoying Yang Mi's acting for the first time. Bai Qian Qian is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg!! Love your summary and ratings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know when Mo Yuan's story is supposed to come out? And do you know where I could find the English translations for both Bai Qian and Feng Jiu's books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think mo yuan's story has been released. I read somewhere that the author started but hasn't updated? I'm hoping she does complete it soon and it gets picked up for translation. My poor Chinese doesn't get me anywhere...lol. I'm dying to know his arc. The plot that is going around:Mo Yuan apparently had a relationship of some sort with the ancestor goddess of the Ghost tribe Shao Wan. It was hinted in both the Ten Miles Blossom and in Pillow Book that he had some sort of thing with her. She apparently gets revived after her soul was scattered several thousand of years and the day she wakes up is the day Mo Yuan gets married? I'm dying to know.

      Delete
    2. What! Agh! I wish there was a way to hurry it all up! Lol. I've been trying to find the translations for the first two books, but haven't been very successful. I guess I just really need to do what I've wanted to do for a while now... learn Chinese. Lol. :)

      Delete
    3. yeah feel like we're going to wait forever. im trying to brush up my chinese maybe by then i'll be a master lol

      Delete
  5. OMG! A C-drama series about the book came out! You can watch it on dramafever... It's so good.
    I kind of regret reading the blogs because it spoiled the whole plan for me lmao

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somebody did a translation of 1st chapter of Mo Yuan / Shao Wan story.

    https://hawonderful.wordpress.com/2017/03/05/%e4%b8%89%e7%94%9f%e4%b8%89%e4%b8%96%e8%8f%a9%e6%8f%90%e5%8a%ab-three-lives-three-worlds-bodha-trials-mo-yuans-story/

    No update for a while already, it seems author hasnt posted any new chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض من أقوى الشركات الرائدة والمتخصصة في مجالات التنظيف الشاملة حيث إنها تعمل على تنظيف الفلل بجميع إحجامها سواء كانت صغيرة أو كبيرة الحجم وتقوم على تنظيف الشقق والقصور والمساجد والشركات والمكاتب وغيرها من المباني والعقارات المختلفة وتعتمد على آليه حديثة في التنظيف بالإضافة إلى إستخدامها لأجواد أنواع المواد المنظفة القوية والرائعة.
    شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
    تهدف إلى تحقيق النظافة الشاملة والمتكاملة من أجل ضمان وثقة العملاء بنا كما إنها تعتمد على أحدث الوسائل من التقنية المتطورة والحديثة في مجالات النظافة المختلف وتستخدم الأجهزة الكهربائية في التنظيف بجانب إلى إستعمال أجهزة الشفط الهوائية وأجهزة التجفيف وأجهزة البخار القوية من أجل إزالة البقع الصعبة من المفارش بالأثاث.
    أهم خدمات واعمال شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
    تسعى شركة نظافة فلل بالرياض إلى تحقيق الجودة من خلال خبرتها الواسعة والكبيرة في تحقيق نجاح نظافة الفيلا حيث إن لها القدرة الكبيرة في تنظيف الفيلا من الخارج والداخل وتقوم على نظافة واجهه الفيلا بالإضافة إلى تلميع الزجاج وتعمل على تنظيف حمامات السباحة المتواجد بها مع تنظيف حديقة الفيلا من الحشرات وغيرها من الامور الأخرى نتيجة إلى إنها أعشاب وإزهار وبالتالي ينتشر بها الحشرات المزعجة والضارة.
    لها القدرة على القيام بتنظيف كافة غرف الفيلا من حيث القيام بنظافة غرف الأطفال الصغار ونظافة الانتريهات والصالونات وغرف السفرة والمعيشة وتقوم على تنظيف المطبخ وكافة محتواياته من حيث نظافة البوتاجاز من الدهون الصعبة والمتراكمة به ونظافة الشفاط بالمطبخ بجانب إلى ترتيب دولاب المطبخ والقيام بنظافتة على أكمل وجه وتطهيره وتعقيمة ، كما إنها تقوم بتلميع السيراميك والرخام وتعمل على جلي البلاط وتنظيفة بطريقة جيدة.
    تقوم شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض على تنظيف الحمامات من خلال تلميع وتطهير الأرضيات بإستخدام الديتول المطهر الذي يقضي على الجراثيم بشكل نهائي وتضع الإراشادات اللازمة من أجل الحفاظ على النظافة بشكل دائم.
    مميزات الشركة
    تمتلك طاقم عمل مدرب على مستويات عالية من الخبرة والمهارة في إداء العمل.
    تستخدم أحدث الأساليب المتطورة والأجهزة الحديثة في التنظيف.
    توفر أسعار مناسبة لجميع عملائها مع تحقيق الجودة والضمان للعميل.
    https://www.allsaad.com/70-2/
    خدمات اخري تقدمها شركة البيت الذهبي
    شركة مكافحة الحمام بالرياض
    https://www.allsaad.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D9%85%D9%83%D8%A7%D9%81%D8%AD%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AD%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%85-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%B6/

    ReplyDelete